Oil acumulated in the Bell housing from sitting???

tjhawk

Cadet
So I finally got all my seals ect from Mercruiser and changed my gimbal ring. It took forever which is funny cause Fond Du Lac is 35 miles away and the seals came from all the way from California. It wasn't easy but it wasn't hard either. Instead of removing the engine my buddy Dan and I just slid the engine forward a foot. It sat at about a 30 degree angle(nose up) for about 2 weeks. So today I go to fire it up and a TON of oil starts pissing out of the bell at the starter housing. As I ran it a min or so it slowed but now I am worried. Is it possible for oil to seep by the rear main from sitting but not at cruise? I have never had any oil in my bilge so I just figured the seal was good. Now my boat is an 1986 3.0 litre so it has the two piece main right?
I was gonna try to drill a small hole in the bottom of the bell tomorrow so all the oil can drain, maybe use a bit of solivant to flush out any extra and then see what happens. I am just guessing that some oil seeped out and filled the bell. Then when I ran it the flywheel just slung it out from spinning. So my question is should I repull the engine and remove the pan ect and do the seal to be safe or should I just run it in my driveway with the hose on and see if it still leaks?

87 bayliner

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Oil acumulated in the Bell housing from sitting???

rear seals can leak if oil pools up behind it. if your motor sat like that long enough concievable a good deal of oil could leak past the seal and collect in that area. id clean it out the best i could and run it a bit when you are done. keep an eye on the oil level so it doesnt get too low. good luck

j