King Cobra Outdrive

CycloneDaddy

Recruit
Here is my situation. I have a 1991 Marada with a 5.7 OMC engine and a King Cobra outdrive. A few weeks ago I ran over something causing me to get towed in while taking on water. I take it to the repair shop and they determine that my transom is rotted out (hence the water) and I spun the coupler. He keeps telling me that the insurance company won't pay for the $2,000 transom repair and that I have another $1,300 in repairs. Well the insurance company sent me a check for $2,300 to get the boat repaired (I have a $1,000 deductible). I call the boat repair place to have them fix the boat and he said I should sell my boat for parts and buy a different boat. I asked why and he said because of the King Cobra outdrive. What would eveyrone do ... fix the boat or start looking for another one?

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: King Cobra Outdrive

Sell it, with the money you get for it + The $3,300 you can get a nice boat with a merc or volvo..

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

UNLESS you really really like the boat IMO I would never want a boat that has a rotted transom. if your motor and outdrive are in good condition youre looking at 1k for EACH minimum. thats not counting all the guages doohickies and widgets on the baot ( interior, glass, trim, etc,) the trailer alone is worth anywhere form 400-1200 depending on lenght. condition etc.

there is really nothign wrong with a Cobra outdrive IMO. its not liek Mercruiser is a never breaks outdrive. You can always take the motor and outdrive out of your boat and go look for a boat that needs and motor and outdrive. Youll probably pick up the boat for a song

Rob

CycloneDaddy

Recruit

Looks like I might be looking for another boat. It really should be an easy decision to sell it for parts and move on but the boat interior of the boat is in great shape and has a brand new floor (I now know that should have been a red flag for me to check for other problems). Everyones opinons are appreciated. Thanks