How much to replace the flloor in my boat?

I have a 1985 Sea Raider 18ft fiberglass fish and ski with open bow. The flooring from the dash area back to the transom is soft and rotted through quite badly. The boat is great otherwise. Seat mounts are strong and all is pretty much in good condition for it's age. I have been contemplating replacing the floor myself but I really don't know if it's something I want to tackle as I want it done right and doubt my abilities. It's a plywood floor that is fiberglassed in to the hull. I have made up a sheet of carpeted plywood which I layed over the rotted floor but I want it fixed the way it should be after 2 years of reliable use of the boat. Plus the added weight of the peice I put in is more than I care for with all the other equipment I have in it for fishing and recreational water time.

Unfortunately around my area there aren't many choices for persons to repair this for me. If I were to come across one and inquired about the floor replacement how much do you think I should expect to hear for $$rates for labor and materials? I completely understand that rates can vary a lot but do any of you out there have experience with this and what did you pay? I am really just looking for a starting point on what to expect from a shop that may repair it. I am quite mechanical myself but the wood and fiberglass thing is a whole new ball game for me and I fear I will be disgusted with the results doing it myslef.

Thanks for any tips.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How much to replace the flloor in my boat?

Where you live definately plays into the cost factor for marine "stuff". In either case a competant fiberglass person will command around $30.00 - $40.00 bucks an hour ( I can only speak for my general area ). You could save some bucks by doing the tear-out yourself. AND the replacement is not that hard. Some hand tools, the proper lumber, some resin and you're done. Give yourself a week to finish working a few hours a night and you're gonna' save some money. Let us know which way you're going. If you do it yourself take plenty of pics - we like pics. :D