Old Chrysler 7HP Ques.

FishWhistle

Recruit
I just purchased a used Chrysler 7HP outboard for my 12' jon boat. The only problem I have is the pull start cable was damaged before I purchased it. I am able to start it by removing the cover and wrapping a rope around the upper to pull it. I tried to repair but the mechanical starter is damaged and will need to be replaced. Any suggestions on where I might find the complete starter assembly? Or another solution?

Love the forum and Thanks for all the advice!!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Old Chrysler 7HP Ques.

Chrysler only made a 7 hp in 1969 and 1970. I would contact someone at chrysler crew and see if they know where you might find one or if a newer 7.5 hp one will work. Click HERE to see if it is similar

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I forget-- I think I replaced a starter pinion on a 7 for a guy about a year ago. might have been a 7 1/2. Anyway, it was the same pull starter as the 9.9-15. Go over to Chrysler Crew and ask Franz. He may have one. I know they go for gold on e bay.

FishWhistle

Recruit

Thanks but the starter assembly is a little different than the one illustrated. I will contact Chrysler crew today!

FishWhistle

Recruit

I would LOve to be able to replace the whole assembly, more than 1 part is damaged, do you think there is any chance?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Contrary to popular opinion, parts are available--just not through regular means-- you may have to hunt a bit, but I think you have an excellent chance of getting what you need.