Engine oreintation when trailering

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Approx what angle should an outboard be trailered at, I'm new to this outboard and aluminum boat stuff. :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Engine oreintation when trailering

Whatever angle it takes to prevent busting off the skeg on a bump. Ground clearance is the determining factor.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You can buy or make a transom saver...an arm that cradles the outboard on one end at your chosen angle and the other end braces against your trailer. Keeps the motor from bouncing up and down and putting undo force on the transom...very handy item and good peace of mind while you are trailering the rig down the road.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

It's usually whatever angle your trailer lock holds the motor at, assuming you have one, most do.

I would also reccomend some type of set up to keep it from bouncing, I used to use a ratchet strap around the lower unit and then hooked to the trailer and tightened down, a lot less stressful when you hit a bump and see your boat bouncing around in the rear view mirror.

They also make actual transom saver units, that go by the same name. They are an actual arm that will connect to both the trailer and lower unit of the engine.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Back when I had OB's without trim I used a 2x4 between the midsection and the clamp bracket to rest the engine on, then a bungie cord to keep tension on it.

At that time they also had a metallic U shaped hootus that you could flip up and use the "reverse tilt lock" clamp to hold the engine on it which I used on one rig that I recall.

When I had an I/O I used another hootus type thing that hooked onto the top of the transom and into the top of the outdrive. This was very important since with an I/O there is no counterbalance like with an O/B's powerhead. Surely didn't want to rely on hydraulics. Besides I couldn't see the outdrive's position from the tow vehicle.

The last and also the current rigs were O/B and I could see the engines from the tow vehicle. Both were in new to near new condition and the trim was trustworthy. So I didn'tdon't use the trailer bracket......but I would if I thought it necessary.

Again, ground clearance is the objective, as stated, and that includes things like pulling off the road to enter a service station and things like that where steep angles of the road's surface are possible.

Mark

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I purchased the Lock N Stow system to replace my Transom Saver so my options are the factory holes on the motor so it looks like the top holes are about right to counter the steep curb angles. I had no major issues with the TS except as pointed out in other threads in that the trailer axle moves alot more then the boat itself so ya have this occational hopping effect.

thinksun

Seaman Apprentice

Back when I had OB's without trim I used a 2x4 between the midsection and the clamp bracket to rest the engine on, then a bungie cord to keep tension on it.

Mark

This works great and all I have ever done- a tech tip I got from Mercury years ago. If you have trim it gets clamped in tight and no need for bungie.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I used to shove an empty beer can between the motor and transom bracket. Course that was when beer cans were real cans rather than aluminum foil cans.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

What I want to know is: is a hootus like a hingus or a dingus and what does it cost?

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

more like a hen-way.
Cost about a buck three eighty five

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Several comments here obviously need addressing.

In order of importance:
--------------
Hootus: Okie (Native American, like Oklahoma resident) term picked up while working with said critters, also known as thingamabob, widget, whatchamacallit and other synomyms. What you call something when you can't think of a name for it.

My reference to it was a transom clamp bracket made of galv or chrome plated steel of the same diameter as the transom mounting bracket holes, but shaped in a U. When not in use it just dangled between the lower unit and the transom. In use, you tilted the engine, flipped it up and under the clamp bracket, and closed the tilt lock to hold on to it. Cost in today's $ about $20.
----------
When I had trim on my engines, I no longer needed the 2x4 to hold the engine up.
--------------
Steel Beer Cans: Back when I was a youngster, you showed your manhood (impressed your peers) by being able to bend a soda and later beer (as we got older and were legal) can in half with your bare hands. With alum the challenge disappeared and we had to figure something else out.

Hope this clears things up. Grin.

Mark

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've always found better performance with a thingamajig or a whatsit.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I've always found better performance with a thingamajig or a whatsit.
Not to mention the gangle pin to locate the billabong clip in place to make certain that the goggle sprocket does not move out of synchronisation !!!! LOL

cwlandefeld

Seaman Apprentice

Not to mention the gangle pin to locate the billabong clip in place to make certain that the goggle sprocket does not move out of synchronisation !!!! LOL

Oh man. That happened once. Lost the gangle pin. Never did find it. Used a whoosiewatzit in it's place. Worked great. Funny thing, never did lose that old whoosiewatzit. Least ways I don't think I did.

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

There are way too many technical words here. :D:D

studlymandingo

Commander

I generally like to have the outboard towards the rear of the trailer. Of course, if it happens to make it towards the front of the trailer I will winch it and deal with it accordingly!​

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You guys are too much. LOL

Glad we are having fun.

Mark