help identifying motor

LTP

Seaman Apprentice
i have been helping my grandfather clean out his garage and he happens to have an old 12 HP seaking outboard, he doesn't know what year it is but the model number is something like GG9021B but i'm not sure if thats right cause it is hard to read.

This motor has not been run in many many years something like probably 25 years. what should i do to it before i attempt to start it??? i know i should probably change plug(s) and grease the lower gear housing,

But how do i go about doing this,

and advice would be welcomed

thanks
LTP

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: help identifying motor

It is a 1956. They are good motors, but it is going to need some work. It almost certainly needs new coils. They all do unless they have already been replaced. Best place to start is with a service manual, because in addition to replacing coils, it needs a new water pump impeller and probably carburetor cleaning with an new kit.

They have all the stuff I just mentined right here at iboats.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Go to FAQs section look for "waking a sleeping outboard".
While the motor shares Ignition parts and possibly pumps with E/J motors of similar years.It may be hard to find a service manual that mentions the 12 Sea King or Buccaneer there are some old after market manuals that have them listed.My Photofact publishing "Outboard Motor Service Manual" 4th edition covers 55-67 including the 12 Sea King/Buccaneer motors.
These are covered in the section with E/J/G 15,18 and 20hp.
I watch eBay for this type manual.recently found a Buccaneer ser.manual
that covers 49-57 Gale built motors.Including part numbers,blowups,service procedures and pics of the various motors.As I recall under $20 including shipping.

LTP

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the information and advice,
i found out that my grandfather bought it new in 1960, so they probably carried over that model or they just never sold this particular one for 4 years

i was hoping i wouldn't have to do to much stuff to it, since i already have a million projects to do, i was hoping it would be just simple stuff like changing the lower gearcase oil and adding gasoline. how hard is it to work on an outboard as i'm a I/O guy myself?? And this won't be for my personal use most likely

what sorta boat could i cheaply acquire to put this on?? i beleive its probably to heavy for some of the new plastic boats that pelican and other make?? and i don't want something that needs a trailer and can be put in a 6 foot bed, with out too much over hang

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Your might find a boat small enough to car top or that might go in a 6 foot bed with the tail gate to support it.But it would stick out 3 1/2 or 4 ft beyond the gate.There are small 12 footers that are closer to 11 1/2 ft and might be rated for 10 or 15 hp.
We used to car top our 15ft LoneStar utility on our van.Two could just get it
up there so one side caught the rack then lift the other side and slide it in place.We were young and stupid then but it did work.
This motor will require some tinkering but is much simpler than an I/O.
And routine parts are still readily available.If there is spark next a new impeller is a must.Change the gear lube and give it a try with fuel mix at 24:1 with TCW3 rated oil.Most likely you will need to comepletely clean and check the fuel system but give it a try.

LTP

Seaman Apprentice

thanks steel spike, thats exactly the kinda thing i needed to know, cause i don't want to spend the money for an aluminum boat, cause it would be my money for my cousins use, so thats not exactly the best deal, since i know they all would not be very likely to pitch in on costs. plus that motor is in no way light,(something probably like 75 pounds)

how do i go about getting the cover off? it says for spark plug maintaince or something to remove this cover on the side. but it is just a decoration when i took it off???

peekaboo

Recruit

Hi
I need help,I just bought a boat and I need parts for it but I can't find the year. All what I can yell you it is a Johnson Super Seahorse 35hp and I found a number on the block #1920746, I'm not sure if that is the model # or a serial #. If someone please help me that would be great.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks steel spike, thats exactly the kinda thing i needed to know, cause i don't want to spend the money for an aluminum boat, cause it would be my money for my cousins use, so thats not exactly the best deal, since i know they all would not be very likely to pitch in on costs. plus that motor is in no way light,(something probably like 75 pounds)

how do i go about getting the cover off? it says for spark plug maintaince or something to remove this cover on the side. but it is just a decoration when i took it off???

I'm truly NOT trying to be a PIA but your first post admitted the depth of your ignorance concerning outboards. Both FR & Steelespike recommended acquiring a service manual. Some of your subsequent questions have made it clear that your admission of ignorance wasn't over-emphasized. Nor can your questions be adequately answered in the limited space here. So you REALLY need to get virtually any kind of generic manual that will get you up to speed on the basics of outboards. With a basic grasp of how they work and a bit of familiarity with nomenclature then we will be in a position of trying to answer specific needs without facing the daunting task of starting at "This is an outboard motor--------".

So help us help you! The 12 horse Gale was a bulletproof workhorse worthy of being returned to the world of the living and we'll be happy to help you do that if you will make the investment of due diligence at your end.

Er---BTW---I have relatives like that too!:rolleyes:

M

mrcrabs

I'm truly NOT trying to be a PIA but your first post admitted the depth of your ignorance concerning outboards

Yes but the statute of limitations on outboard ignorance has run out since the post is 3 1/2 years old;)

tile@sea

Cadet

Hi P a B, I found the library to be as good a source as any. the guys here are great but some times it takes a while. There is a section on this web site to get the basic info on your sea king look hard like i did. I am just getting up to speed on iboats but would like to help if i can.

tile@sea