woodruff key

paul2112

Seaman
Im looking for the woodruff key for the lower unit water pump for a 1975 85hp Evinrude.. The boat shop around the corner can get one for 10 bucks, but if anyone can supply me with the dimensions I can get one made cheaper..Thanks

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: woodruff key

Im looking for the woodruff key for the lower unit water pump for a 1975 85hp Evinrude.. The boat shop around the corner can get one for 10 bucks, but if anyone can supply me with the dimensions I can get one made cheaper..Thanks

Easy to get a ballpark off your shaft with Calipers..(they don't come in THAT many sizes). Look for the thickness and depth, then figure a 16th..1/8th above the shaft. Lowes or HomeDepot has'em...or just Google. Bearing supply house should have them too.
$10 is a little stiff (but then again, 2 lousy lower unit washers are $6 here, and of course, odd ball compared to any thing stocked everywhere for a quarter. I finally decided to make my own (Machinist)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They've used that key since 1958. And they come with a water pump kit. Any outboard shop should have a drewer full of them for free. Hang on, I'll go out and measure one.

Edit: OK it is .158 thick, .600 long, .237 high. Made of stainless steel

paul2112

Seaman

Thanks for the info of the key...When I went to buy one at the local boat shop, it came out of there plastic keyway box, no fancy package or bow on it..Still 10 bucks.. I didnt get to see which section he got it out of, as they had either letter or number designations on them..Thanks again, it will come in handy again next time...paul

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Use only purpose made keys, Paul. The material is important.

Keys function like the mechanical equivalent of a fuse. They break to protect both the flywheel and the crankshaft from damage, or, in this case, the impeller and driveshaft. A home-made key would probably not work well.