1972 6 HP Evinrude price

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bough a 1972 Evinrude 6 hp motor in very good condition for $325. It just had new points and plugs put in. I think I paid a bit much, but I was hving difficulty finding a small motor and my previous one was not reliable. I took it out and it runs exceptionally well. Did I pay too much or is this reasonable for this motor?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1972 6 HP Evinrude price

It's a bit much considering the work you had done wasn't already done. But they are a sweet motor and hopefully you will get your money's worth many times over. :)

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The plugs and points were done prior to purchase. The price also included a hose and metal gas tank.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey buddy if you like it I like it. Quote from father in law

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Go look at a new one of that size. Preferbaly a two cylinder.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You did very well I think if it was well maintained and runs well.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you done good. maintain it, when shifting make it a quick deliberate shift, this will save the clutch dog, grinding gears are really bad for an outboard. and the motor will last another 50 years.

PW2

Commander

I recall my brother and I bought a brand new 6 hp Johnson in a box in 1968 for $295. He bought out my share 10 years later for $150. It still mostly starts on the first pull, and he still has it and uses it.
Somehow, I think we got our money's worth.
I recently bought a 77 6hp with a broken shift lever for $305. Parts cost close to $100 to replace the lever, but now it's runs great.
I think you did ok.

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

you get out on that water and all your fears will go away. if ya paid 500 for it and you get 500 hours of enjoyment out of it. then how could ya go wrong. (THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY=IS THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS):p

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the feedback. The reason that I thought I paid too much is that a similar motor sold for just over 200 bucks on e-bay recently, however, I got an oppotunity to see and hear it run before purchase. The only negative about my motor is the power. I have a wife and two small kids and I need at least a 9.9 for the kids to have any fun tooling around the lake. I bought the 6 HP as an interim motor, but I may just hang on to it because if I get a larger boat, then I could use it as a trolling motor. I'm starting to dig the motor, especially the "FISHERMAN" on the cover.

darrklim2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the feedback. The reason that I thought I paid too much is that a similar motor sold for just over 200 bucks on e-bay recently, however, I got an oppotunity to see and hear it run before purchase. The only negative about my motor is the power. I have a wife and two small kids and I need at least a 9.9 for the kids to have any fun tooling around the lake. I bought the 6 HP as an interim motor, but I may just hang on to it because if I get a larger boat, then I could use it as a trolling motor. I'm starting to dig the motor, especially the "FISHERMAN" on the cover.

The fact that one sold for 200 on ebay isn't necessarily the best judge. You have to remember that if you buy one on ebay a lot of times it has to be shipped. Shipping on a boat motor, even a 6hp, can be $100 or more. I just sold my 1983 7.5 for $450 here so I would say you did alright.