1974 Merc 200 Dead????

fugateb

Recruit
I have a 1974 Merc 200 that ran once for me last week. It was flooding and hard to start, but would run good at speed. Then it got worse and died, causing me that paddle in....

I found the float in the carb to be worn out, the plate that holds the trigger and stator coils was lose and moving around, and the plugs were fouled.

I rebuilt the carb, changed the plugs and wires, and remounted the coil assembly. However, the motor will not run. I then checked the spark, the compression, and rechecked the carb. Everything seems good, but it will not run. The closest I can get to starting this motor is in a test tank, in gear, at full throttle, and spraying gas in the carb from a spray bottle. It will then sputter for a second and the die.

Someone please help me before I lose my mind or my wife divorces me :eek:.... Thanks in advance!!!!

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1974 Merc 200 Dead????

could be bad reed valves. merc 20's have a whole circle of the things, bad thing is, i seem to recall them being under the power head.
hope that's not the case,
just a thought from a not-so-knowledgeable tinkerer who's only on here because i'm waiting for someone to help me with my own merc problem.

fugateb

Recruit
Re: 1974 Merc 200 Dead????

I read through the section of the repair manual that describes the powerhead overhaul procedure and indeed there is a circle of reed valves around the crankshaft inside the powerhead. I have talked to a couple of people who are familiar with other types of two stroke enignes and they agree that it could be the reed valves. I plan to tear down the powerhead tonight at work and check them, unless someone has a suggestion for checking them without rebuilding the powerhead????

Thanks for your advice! It seems like your are much more knowledgable about Merc motors than you give yourself credit for. Good luck with your problem as well!