98 Mariner 225hp: mechanic wasting my $$$?

robster

Cadet
Help - I'd like a second opinion!!!

My boats at the marina getting worked on right now, because I ran out of ideas on what to do... now I'm gonna run out of $$$.

THE PROBLEM: our 1998 225hp Mariner has ran great for years... until a few months ago, it would stall at various speeds once it ran for about 10 minutes.
Engine temperature was good ~140 degrees. I could always get it to start up again (sometimes I had to wait 2-3 minutes). Engine would only get to 4900-5000RPM, could be the prop, or something else.

MY SOLUTION: I replaced the plugs, put in fresh fuel, installed a new fuel line (from tank to engine), primer bulb, and racor fuel filter/water seperator. It ran much better for a while, but still stalled a few times at random speeds. Again, I could always start it and get home.

MECHANIC: The marina worked on it, replaced water pump & thermostats (at my request, its been a while), they pulled fuel filter, checked operation, cleaned filter screens, replaced "on engine" fuel cartridge. Replaced poppit. Told me the neutral interrupter switch (on shift cable @ engine was bad, but said we could replace it later). They also replaced one COIL on top, port cylinder. I noticed the neutral interrupter switch wires were left disconnected. They tested and said it was 100% better!

TEST: We picked up boat, it ran great for about 30 minutes, ran about 5000-5100rpm, but then it stalled. Started it, stalled and NEVER could start again. It would try to start, sound like it wasn't getting fuel, would sometimes run for about 3-4 seconds. I noticed the two wired unplugged for the neutral interrupt switch, didn't know which one went where, tried both ways, but engine still didn't start or stay running. Had to get towed home. The marina sent a mechanic to our dock and said he thinks it's a bad stator. We had to pay to have boat TOWED back to the marina for additional trouble-shooting.

MECHANIC: Called yesterday, said he wants to replace the STATOR, IGNITION SWITCH and WIRING HARNESS, along with the neutral interrupt switch. I couldn't believe that ALL that could be wrong, when the boat always started first shot before we brought it to them. They said they bypassed the ignition switch, and then the harness and could get it to start everytime; but still says the stator is failing as well. They ARE offering to give us a substantial discount on the parts and labor, the question is:

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A GOOD DIAGNOSIS or are they charging me to replace everything, one part at a time until the problem goes away?

Thanks for any input you guys have (sorry for the long description)! :confused:

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: 98 Mariner 225hp: mechanic wasting my $$$?

Have you checked the fuel pickup screen in the tank?​

A good way to check this is to use a remote fuel tank and run it to see if you continue to have the trouble.​

Also, have you rebuilt the fuel pump?​

robster

Cadet
Re: 98 Mariner 225hp: mechanic wasting my $$$?

We have not rebuilt the fuel pump. It seems to be more of an intermittant problem -- the fuel pickup screen in the tank sounds like an interesting idea...

If the boat still runs crappy after we get it back from the mechanic, I'll definitely check that as a possibility.

Do all built-in fuel tanks have a screen on the end of the pickup tube?

Is this something that should be replaced, or just cleaned?
Thanks!