Finished My Boat Makeover!

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't have very good pictures, but I finished installing my new rub rail kit just before dark today and had to take a couple of pictures anyway. The boat is a 1981 Continental with a 1990's Johnson 60HP.

The transom was rotten, so I used "seacast" (a fine product I must say) and poured that into my rotten transom upon removing all the old rotten wood. I removed the very old and nasty looking bottom paint, and patched up the numerous chips and dings and chunks missing from all over the boat (interior and exterior). Purchased a new teleflex top mount control and new rub rail. Also installed a skegguard and got a nice used OEM Stainless steel prop. The bottom of the boat is "Interlux Premium White", and the exterior sides are "Interlux Premium Medium-Blue". The motor is "imron paint - arctic white". Took the most of a solid month, and many hours day and night to finish this project up. Also had some fixes to do on my bunks for the trailor and a couple other minor fixes on the boat. Here are a few pics, I will update with better ones later in the week. Enjoy guys!

This was my boat before...
DSC00533.jpg

This is my boat today....
DSC00552.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00555.jpg

Cory

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Finished My Boat Makeover!

Awesome paint job, the motor looks great too.

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys! Now if I can only find someone to re-do my seating, I should be set to go. My seats stick out like a sore thumb now

Cory

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice boat. I like the blue also.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:D Nice job, you took the time and it look's quite fine........;)

NOW GET TO THAT UGLY A@@ TRAILER.......:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pull the cushions on the seats, take to auto upolster (seat cover place). cheaper. and you will have really nice boat. love the blue.

Linc33

Seaman

VERY VERY nice job! Looks great.

How did you apply the paint? Sprayed, rolled etc?

-Linc

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

pull the cushions on the seats, take to auto upolster (seat cover place). cheaper. and you will have really nice boat. love the blue.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I need to find a place around here that can do that. I guess I will look in the yellow pages to find someone local.

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

VERY VERY nice job! Looks great.

How did you apply the paint? Sprayed, rolled etc?

-Linc

The motor was applied by spraying an air gun with an air compressor. Similar to how cars are painted.

The entire boat was done by brushing. Just be sure that you pay attention to the directions as to how much thinner to use when brushing so you will not see any brush marks.

Here are a couple more pictures from the daytime...

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00557.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

DSC00565.jpg

Thanks guys

Cory

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

Looks very nice. Now you need to get it wet. You gonna do mine next? :D

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very Nice! Looks new, I like the blue.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks GREAT! The light blue really made it pop.

ps- it's "Imron" :cool:

I've sprayed tons of it on diesel engines!

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks GREAT! The light blue really made it pop.

ps- it's "Imron" :cool:

I've sprayed tons of it on diesel engines!

Thanks for the spelling correction! I typed it out exactly as it sounded to me. Imron is a much harder paint than a typical base and clear coat, like on a vehicle. I have noticed that immediately. Should be a good paint for a motor that cruises around in salt water all the time.

Cory

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You did an amazing job on that motor given what you started with. Really good job. I was planning on painting my 71 Johnson 9.5 motor with a spray can, but after looking at that, I may reconsider. I may paint my 93 Yamaha 115 lower unit too. I've not used Dupont Imron before, but have used Dupont Centari acrylic enamel on a tractor. A local boat builder recommended Dupont Imron for painting boat decks as well. Did you remove the pivot tube from the motor to get the paint into the hard-to-reach areas? How did you prep? Wet sand, light amount of zinc chromate or zinc phosphate, then while it's still wet, spray primer? Did you wait till that mix is tacky, doesn't transfer paint to your fingernail, then spray the imron? 3 coats, then did you clear with Dupont Imron clear? How is it holding up to abuse on the water? It's hard to tell with a picture, but I think it looks better than the factory paint! --Steve

Sailor77.7

Seaman

BigNiner19,

You did an outstanding job. I hope that my project turns out as well as yours. I'd love to hear how you did the paint as well and how it is holding up to the salt water. I live on Whidbey Island which is in WA state. I will be taking my boat out on the Puget Sound when I believe it is sea worthy once again. Once again...Great Job on the boat. Yes, check out an automotive seat upolster who can do any material you want.

Vr,

Sailor77.7

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

You did an amazing job on that motor given what you started with. Really good job. I was planning on painting my 71 Johnson 9.5 motor with a spray can, but after looking at that, I may reconsider. I may paint my 93 Yamaha 115 lower unit too. I've not used Dupont Imron before, but have used Dupont Centari acrylic enamel on a tractor. A local boat builder recommended Dupont Imron for painting boat decks as well. Did you remove the pivot tube from the motor to get the paint into the hard-to-reach areas? How did you prep? Wet sand, light amount of zinc chromate or zinc phosphate, then while it's still wet, spray primer? Did you wait till that mix is tacky, doesn't transfer paint to your fingernail, then spray the imron? 3 coats, then did you clear with Dupont Imron clear? How is it holding up to abuse on the water? It's hard to tell with a picture, but I think it looks better than the factory paint! --Steve

First off, I think the way you described it might be taking things a few steps further than needed. I used a basic "2K Primer" that can be used on cars/boats/RV's anything really. But prior to that I needed to remove all the old nasty paint and corrosion. I used anything I could that would remove some of the ole GUNK that was lodged onto the motor (the motor had sat in a freshwater lake in south florida and it really showed). I used some 40 GRIT dry paper to remove some of the older paint and basically make the surface parts of the motor smooth enough to then use a finer grit of dry sand paper to smooth things out even finer. I used 180 grit, and then 320 after that. After getting all the spots on my motor perfectly smooth the way I wanted it, I sprayed it with the primer. I put the first coat on VERY light to make sure everything would stick well. Then I scuffed it up with some scotch bright rubbing pads and sprayed a second coat of primer. Then I sanded down the primer with some 320 for some really tiny small scratches for my base coat to stick to and sprayed on two coats of that. No clear coat was used. Just the dupot Imron paint with a ordinary gravity fed spray gun. The motor was hanging from the cieling in my garage that I used to pull old car engines out with. So I was able to spray nicely into all the creaks and crevices of the motor.

Saltwater abuses anything, but Imron is the best paint in my opinion for an outboard motor because it will take a lot of abuse before it begins to show wear. I've used my boat a lot since I finished the makeover, and it looks just as good as it did the day I painted it. Just be sure to clean it down thoroughly and it wouldn't hurt to put a coat of wax on it from time to time. I like the wax called "colonite" found in any parts store or marine store. Its about 12 bucks.

lexkyboater,
I hope I answered most of your question's, thank you for letting me know that there were posts to this thread that I could try to help some of the rest of the members out with. If there is anything else you want me to explain more in detail...just let me know, I will continue to check this thread.

Cory

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

BigNiner19,

You did an outstanding job. I hope that my project turns out as well as yours. I'd love to hear how you did the paint as well and how it is holding up to the salt water. I live on Whidbey Island which is in WA state. I will be taking my boat out on the Puget Sound when I believe it is sea worthy once again. Once again...Great Job on the boat. Yes, check out an automotive seat upolster who can do any material you want.

Vr,

Sailor77.7

Sailor,

Thanks for the compliments. I wish you good luck in your restoration. Its a process that can be fun and also make some headaches. But all in all...when you get behind the steering wheel of your boat when you are complete...you feel great about everything you did.

I addressed most of the painting methods for the motor above for lexky's post. However, the Interlux Premium paint (medium blue/arctic white) is holding up great. Everything stuck very well, and it is some really good quality paint. I was amazed how well a nice wax job turned the paint out even shinier than it was after painting it. It has held up well to blood from fish, guts and all kinds of stuff from bait and I must say that the interlux "no skid" compound works very well if you apply it as the directions tell you. It looks great, and has held up very nicely...and also cleans up very easily if you stay on top of cleaning things up from time to time after every other trip or so.

For the money, you cannot beat the interlux paint especially if you are going to use a brush. Or even a roller. Like I said in an earlier post, I would have loved to use a roller...but couldn't find one that gave me the results I wanted. Fine tip brushes seemed to give me a much more deeper/smoother result. Good Luck

Again...if anyone has more questions I would love to assist in any way possible. Everyone has been quite helpful on here helping me getting my Johnson outboard running pretty well back when I got it...so I would be glad to help ya'll out.

Cory