Impeller and Outdrive problems

sgboarder

Recruit
I have just replaced my impellar and housing on my 89 king cobra OMC outdrive with a 330 hp motor. For some reason, I am not getting anything to pump through the impellar and I am wondering if anybody has any idea of what kind of a problem that could be. I have the earmuffs on and have pulled the first hose in, and no water comes through unless I rev the engine to about 4K rpm's. Any ideas?

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Impeller and Outdrive problems

one thing it could be is on an impeller the fit is snug to say the least. if the splines are bent in there the wrong way, it may not be able to spin. maybe start there?

Coors

Captain

Was the impeller plate scored?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you put a new seal ring on the pump housing? If not, it's probably sucking air instead of water.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

my impeller has a drive key that fits on the shaft and in a slot in the bore of the impeller. did you install the key?

nightowl

Cadet

Hello

You should check the vent hose that attaches to the housing to make sure there are no obstructions. what that hose does is allow air to escape for priming. I actually had a pumping problem that was fixed by just disconnecting the vent hose from the housing.

Jim