Two questions (year and timing)

morningcalm

Cadet
I have a Merc 35, serial # A151111. Anyone have an idea what year this might be? I have been through all the online sites and what they provide is far from any serial number on my engine.

Timing:

The Clymer Mercury Outboard Shop Manual does not show the Merc 35. Therefore I'm forced to follow the 40 hp timing instructions, which as far as I can tell is what they suggest to do.

My flywheel has the 2-dot mark at 27 degrees (picture below) for adjusting the timing screw on the spark advance lever. However, the solid line they recommend for final timing at high speed, does not seem to be there. From what I can tell on the flywheel, the high speed mark should be at the 9 degree mark.

IMGP0977.jpg

IMGP0979.jpg

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian Kerrigan
Essex, CT

diaric

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Two questions (year and timing)

i think its an 86. i'm not familiar with the timing of the newer motors, mine are from the 60's. someone else can jump in for this

morningcalm

Cadet

Somewhere I did find a list that pointed this a 1985. I'll have to go back and find it again. It was far better than the two links for serial numbers I've tried to use on this site.

Now to just find out about the timing for this motor.

Anyone?

morningcalm

Cadet

Well, that site didn't really give me what I am looking for, thanks anyway.

Stopped at a local Merc shop after work and they had what I needed in less than 5 minutes.

Idle rpm 600-700
Max timing 27 degrees
High speed timing 2 - 5 degrees
Full throttle rpm 5800-6000