Need help on Suzuki DT-65 idle

yanker

Seaman Apprentice
Motor has been running real good til yesterday when I was washing it down after having great day of fishing out of Dana Point. Lower unit made a squeek noise and stopped the motor... did it couple times. Sounded like lack of lubrication or bearing problem. Today, I decided to go ahead and drain the oil out of lower unit and put in new oil. Now motor run great with no noise, but it is idling around 1500 rpm now and it should be around 700 rpm. I tried adjusting idle by turning the idle screw by #3 carburetor counter-clockwise all the way, but still at around 1200 rpm. s/n on my motor is 06502-910195.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ron

yanker

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need help on Suzuki DT-65 idle

Idle speed dropped down bit, but at same time squeak came back and stopped the motor... hmmmm... any ideas ?? sounds like bearing is going out.??
Ron

yanker

Seaman Apprentice

More I look at this ,,, looks like drive shaft bearing must be going out since motor was idling in neutral. I think only thing moving in neutral are water pump and drive shaftin lower unit. I guess I'll pull the lower unit tomorrow to check it out.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

you have 1989 model .... the carb air/fuel mix screw should be 1 1/2 turns outwards from soft stop ..... but I must tell you one time or another this model motor needs a fuel pump diaphram replacement ... for some reason all the 65hp suzi have this problem some time or another ........ the squeaky noise, you are obviously using the oil injection? How sure are you it is getting enough 2-stroke? ....

yanker

Seaman Apprentice

deejaycee,
I just replaced diaphragm on the fuel pump about a month ago when you told me, because I was having problem stalling around 2000 rpm. Thanks you... Motor has been running great ever since until this problem. Yes, I'm using oil injection.. No .. I'm not sure if it is getting enough oil. Seems like it is using oil, because I have to add oil to reserve couple of times. Taking a guess, amount of gasoline I have used to amount of oil that I've added seems like almost 50:1 or something close. Squeak noise does sound like it is coming from lower unit.
Ron

deejaycee_2000

Captain

hahahaha, oh so sorry .... but glad it helped ...... yeah that sounds about right so your oil is working fine ...... lower unit hey, if there is enough oil in the lower unit I don't see an reason it should make a noise .... when last did you add grease to all the grease nipples (you know what I mean right?) and also by the prop etc. .

yanker

Seaman Apprentice

deejaycee,
only found four grease nipple on the swivel bracket and they were greased about a month ago. Seems like I have been working on this boat everyday
since I bought it at end of April, but I'm enjoying it. Fixed most of leaks and replaced front deck with new plywood. Got me a new ff/gps, bait pump, bilge pump, windshield and anchor-chain-rope. We lost the anchor, chain and rope when it broke about second time out. I was going to buy new chain and rope, because it was only about 50 ft long. Now I've got me a 20 ft of chain and 250 ft of 1/2 rope. Replaced all the electrical switches and added few new switches and rewired some stuff. Now I have everything working until this happened.

yanker

Seaman Apprentice

Just spoked with Paul at Browns Point and he said squeak is most likely coming from the carburetor. Sounded like I'm running too lean and that is why getting the squeak and also idle rpm is high. If I can not adjust idle by turning the pilot air screws, I need to rebuild the carburetors. I messed around with pilot screws on all three carburetors and they didn't change much at all. I made them bit richer, but didn't see any difference. I even closed each one all the way and back off 1.25 to 1.75 on all three while running and didn't notice much difference. So, I just ordered 3 carburetor repair kits.
Ron

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Nice ... so you are getting your rig all together now .... yeah it's not nice to loose your anchor, they are expensive these days .....

.... to be honest, i don't see how the noise can come from your carbs ... maybe the reed valves yes .... but it is good to rebuild your carbs then you know that is done .... keep me updated ....

yanker

Seaman Apprentice

Stopped by local boat repair place and was talking to the mechanic. He said they don't work on Suzuki, but what it sounded like was "lean sneeze". He said the Johnson motor used to do it when thermostat stays open and does not get motor hot enough when it is in idle. He said something foreign (mud, salt or anything) get stuck in there and does not let it close. He said only time thermostat really is used is when in idle.. all rest of time , it is wide open. Kind of make sense to me, I guess I'll order gasket/thermostat and try it out before working on the carburetors, because carburetors were worked on by mechanic in end March before I bought it.

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tryingt to put all your clues together leads me to believe the carb linkage has come unbalanced while you were having your great day. Try the "link and synch" approach before making a bunch of unwarranted adjustments. The 55/65 was especially sensitive.

yanker

Seaman Apprentice

Grid,
How do I do the "link and Synch" ?
Ron