Voltage Irregularity

dnardella

Cadet
I recently bought a 1997 Four Winns with a 4.3L Volvo Penta Engine. The engine runs fine when it runs, but I have never seen the voltmeter with more than 11 volts and I assumed the voltmeter was bad. However, this evening I put it in the water and lowered the trim on the engine, tried to turn it over and it did nothing. I also was no longer able to use the trim to get the engine back up. I brought it back home and connected it to my car battery to get the engine back up, but still did not see the volts past 11, even though the car voltmeter read 14. The engine also would not turn over even when connected to the car battery. Could there be a short in my electrical system causing the issues?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Voltage Irregularity

No! You have a very dead, and very exhausted battery in the boat. Jumping a bad battery will still leave you with a deal electrical system. A bad battery will not take a charge which is why you never saw the voltmeter over 11 volts. Install a new battery before you are also in need of a new alternator.

dnardella

Cadet

Hey Silvertip - Thanks for the suggestion. However, I failed to mention that the battery is only 2 months old...

Sig_Mech

Seaman

Try charging your marine battery. Take it to your local auto parts store and get it tested. Just because a battery reads 12v doesn't mean it's good. I would also check your alternator on the marine engine. It sounds like it hasn't been working correctly and the boat was running off of the battery alone until it died.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Two month old batteries have been known to go bad. Bad, corroded, or loose battery cables (both ends) can also cause the problem, and can also take out the voltage regulator as well.

dnardella

Cadet

Thanks all - I will check all connection, and take the alternator and battery up to be checked and replace what is bad

dnardella

Cadet

The alternator appears to only be putting out 11volts, so I replaced it. The battery was good and got a full recharge. However, after reconnecting it, the voltmeter only read 11 still and the engine had a hard time turning over. I finally got it started and the volts immediately jumped up to 12.5 to 13, do the alternator was working correctly.

When reconnecting the battery, I noticed that the crimping around the positive connection on the battery cable seemed a bit loose and the plastic shield did not go all the way to the connector (there was bare wire exposed). Is it possible that water got into the cable and cuased some resistance, thereby reducing the volt flow in and out of the battery?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely. When we tell people to check their battery cables (both ends) that's what we want them to look for. Any bulges in the cable or corrosion around the cable end is an indication there is very likely high resistance in that cable. That prevents current from reaching the electrics on the motor and hence the poor starter performance. Replace the cables or cut the ends off and install new ends.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would also reccomend you get a hand held voltmeter. You should have this with your tools.

It will be useful to measure your voltage independently of the built in meter, and by measuring the voltage at different places (like at the battery terminals vs. at the trim motor) you can do diagnostics.

I bought one for $10 at my local ACE when they had a sale.