1991 Evinrude 175 hp stator????

sportcraft17

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi. How bad is it, if I see sparks coming from underneath the flywheel, at Idle it is fine, (no noise, no sparks) but once you hit the throttle, there is a noise like metal grinding and sparks are flying out all over from underneath the flywheel. I will be pulling out the Fly wheel tomorrow, Just want to know what I should look for. Is it time for a new stator? Or Isolation problem? Motor runs fine, no misfire or any thing like that.

Thank you

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Evinrude 175 hp stator????

This engine should have the vented flywheel with glued magnets. It is not unusual for the magnet glue to loosen and grind between the flywheel and the stator. They can be re-glued back in place. If they have done no damage to the stator, you may be ok. Check the stator and it's wiring carefully, as this the high (35 amp) output system. You don't want to have a problem with this later.

sportcraft17

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1991 Evinrude 175 hp stator????

You wore right, 1 magnet came loose and was grinding, the magnet looks fine, and it just need to be re-glue. Any idea what kind of glue should I used? Also on the pictures 2 plates came of from stator, the 2 pieces came of because there is a push-in clamp that hold does plate in place. I need one clamp, does any one knows if they sell that clamp? There is a picture of the push-in clamp. Any idea where I can get one.

Thank you

Image228.jpg

Image227.jpg

Image221.jpg