1982 - EVINRUDE 15- Idle speed problem

Rick.

Captain
Hello to all. I am trying to troll between 2 and 3 MPH and if I let go of the throttle it slows to 1.4 mph. From this forum I have had conflicting advise on how to accomplish the speed I want. Some have said to stiffen the throttle so it stays where ever I let go of it and others say the throttle should slow the boat if it's unattended.(ie: man over board).

The idle speed knob screw on the motor never makes contact with the vertical throttle shaft. If I turn it too far the snap ring actually pops out of it's track and the nylon screw (left hand thread) still hasn't made contact. I'm not sure how to stiffen the throttle but admittedly I'm not really in favor of this solution. I have searched my manual several times and can't find anything about how to properly fix the situation. I am certain this was the intended purpose of the Idle adjustment knob but like I say it never reaches it's intended target (the vertical shaft). Sorry to be a bother but I really want to get this thing fixed as the motor is a good one and has been very dependable. Thanks, Rick.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1982 - EVINRUDE 15- Idle speed problem

The purpose of the idle adjustment screw is to set the idle speed where it should be (as opposed to a "cruise control"). Otherwise you might end up damaging the gearbox, and you never know when you might need to go no faster than 1.4mph. Is there no throttle tension control? You can easily add a safety lanyard.

Rick.

Captain

I don't want to make it a cruise control. Just 2 to 3 mph. I can't find any way to tension the throttle but that would be more of a cruise control wouldn't it? I should say I am using it on a 14 foot aluminium. Rick.

Rick.

Captain

I sure could use some advice here folks. Rick.

iwombat

Captain

The throttle is supposed to stay where you put it, not drift back by itself. You need to adjust the throttle tensioner.

Rick.

Captain

Can you give me some direction on how to do this? I can't find it in the manual. Rick.

iwombat

Captain

Hmm. Looks like that year doesn't have an adjustment screw. You may have a worn spring or friction block under the handle grip. Remove the screw that holds the handle grip on and remove the grip. You'll see what keeps tension on the throttle.

I also have an 82.

I find the idle speed adjustment -knob- (not screw) to be one of the handiest features on the motor. It adjusts a stop that makes contact with a cam that is part of the throttle linkage assembly. It limits the return distance of the throttle handle and therefore the low idle speed. It's great for trolling.

I just replaced the knob on mine because wear had allowed the snap ring to pop off when I was adjusting the slow idle speed. I was told by the dealer that it was one of the most commonly replaced parts on that model.

If you have snap ring pliers it takes about 10 minutes to replace and is around $20

Here is your part number.

KNOB & RETAINING RING, Idle adjustment

fish_guy10

Cadet

I also have the same model/year engine and am having the same problem. The idle speed control knob on the right side (facing the engine) was broken when I original bought the engine and I recently replaced it with a new unit. However, as the other people note, it doesn't even make contact with the cam on the vertical throttle shaft. My service manual doesn't even show this part let alone how it should actually work.

My engine fires right up and trolls decent until the engine comes to temperature. Then I have to keep fiddling with the throttle constantly (which is a pain since it is mounted on the port side of the boat) to keep it from cutting out. If it dies, it is miserable to get restarted, but as soon as you do and get it into gear, then it runs like a champ. Regardless, at least as near as I can tell, the idle speed control has no function on my engine the way that I have it set up.

Maybe one of you veterans can post a picture of how it is supposed to be?

Thanks,