What to look at when buying a boat?

justin95

Cadet
What do i need to look at for problems when looking at a boat? Its a 86' wellcraft elite with the 350. If the engine runs well, what else?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: What to look at when buying a boat?

This is actually Reel Poor's list, but I have kept it because it's a good one:

Here is some advice I would give to anyone buying a boat.

*What ever you do don't buy any boat without a test drive.
*Make sure the engine is cold and has not been previously warmed up. You will want to see how it cranks and runs after its been sitting for an extended period.
*Always check all fluid levels before test drive.
*After the test drive ck all fluid levels again for color and consistency, looking for any water intrusion or fluid level changes.
*Make sure bilge area is dry before and after test drive.
*When test driving don't make a quick trip out and back, give it a real test drive. Put it thru the paces, run it hard, hit some waves, run it long enough to show up any problems.
*Pay special attention to how solid the boat feels when you hit a wave, if it feels loose/shakey it may have structural problems.

*Reach under the floors and try to dig your hands into any exposed wood.
*Stop and restart the engine several times.
*Make sure everything on the boat works, gauges, bilge pump, blowers, lights, wires are still in their looms, etc.
*Make sure all thru hull fittings are tight, in good condition, and well sealed.
Make sure all deck hardware i.e. bow rails, cleats, tow eyes, windshield, seats, and etc. are solid on their mount.
*Don't just accept it.
*Don't buy while you're overly impressed.
*Take your time and look it over well.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boat topics and questions, non engine

salty87

Commander

from that time frame, i'd give the floor some extra attention. the captain's chair gets used every outing so check under that seat as well as under the rest of the seats for any signs of flexing under your weight. wet vests often get tossed under seats to dry out, not a good habit.

have you been looking at other boats? i wouldn't buy the first 5 that i look at unless i've looked around a bunch and am going back for another peek. you need to know the market.

wellcraft elite is an i/o? outdrives are expensive pieces of confusing gears (i don't own one), i'm sure there's some fluid you can check.

justin95

Cadet

I also saw a 89' Mirage Rampage with the 350 also, I would like to look at it. I cant seem to find ANY info on it though. Not even on this forum.

rheyboer

Seaman

Yes, check the floor, but REALLY check the transom. The floor can be replaced by a DIYer. If it's an I/O and the transom is bad your looking at taking out the engine and the drive. Major work. I would take off the doghouse, get down on the floor, and start tapping all over the transom, especially near the drive opening, with a small hammer. If it doesn't sound solid....run. If the owner had a problem with this wish him luck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Pay attention to the instruments. Oil Pressure on a small block Chevy should be 10# for every 1000 rpm so at cruise there should be at least 30 - 40 PSI of oil pressure. That may drop to about 20 at idle and be as high as 60 when cold. If idle oil pressure is lower than 20 PSI I would be a little nervous. Water temperature is important. 140 - 160 is about the norm. The voltmeter should read above 13V at cruise rpm and actually be in 14V range give or take a little. Hot soak the engine -- after running it hard, shut it off and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. If it cranks hard after sitting for awhile, you might be looking at a battery or starter issue. Engine missing, sputtering, dogginess or lack of performance indicates some serious tune up work needs to be done. Engine noises (clicking high in the engine or knocking low in the engine) are signs of a tired or distressed engine, even if it does show good oil pressure. At wide open throttle the engine should rev to about 4400 - 4800 RPM. Anything less than that says the prop is wrong for the boat, the boat hull is not clean, it's very heavy (water soaked flotation foam), a tune-up is needed or the engine is tired. I would also insist on a compression check, while you watch but the owner may not know how to do that and he/she certainly would not allow you to do it. That leaves a shop and it would be on your nickel.