75HP 2-stroke merc not revving correctly

dalton565

Seaman
Hey guys, im having a few problems with my merc engine, as it says in the subject its a 1999 75hp merc 2 stroke

The problem is this

The other day we took it out on the lake, started it as normal lifted the fast idle on the qui9cksilver controls to make it rev, and i noticed it wasnt reving as high as it usually does with the lever fully lifted

We take it round the lake a few times, and its top speed was down from about 40mph to 32mph.

After about 20mins it cut out completlety and wud not start, just churn and churn, eventually got it started after about 20mins and took it home.

I think i may have put the wrong 2 stroke oil into the mixing chamber, however we drained this out when i got home and put the proper outboard oil in. Let it run on the hose for a good 50mins but still the same issue with the low revs.

Any ideas anyone ?

Richard

Laddies

Banned
Re: 75HP 2-stroke merc not revving correctly

It sounds like your missing a cyl, ck for spark and compression if you have both you probably have a dirty carb

dalton565

Seaman
Re: 75HP 2-stroke merc not revving correctly

Hey thanks for the reply so promptly. Do you think it is something i should take a dealerhsip to have looked at. Or is there anything i could do myself in the way of repair. Bearing in mind i have a pretty minimal knowledge of boat engines. However i could perform basic repairs.

What should i say to them at the dealers ?

Cheers