installing 4.3L mercruiser enigine- any hints?

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Okay guys,

I just removed my engine (due to a broken starter motor mount:mad:), I have not yet decided wether to fix the motor or change it. But within the next 2 weeks I will be putting a motor back in!!:) The engine came out very easily, so I am not expecting many problems with putting it back in. But wanted to ask in case any of you had any tricks to make it go more easily.. The boat is a 1991 Glastron G1900 with a mercury 4.3L and an Alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive.

I will need to align the engine to my Alpha 1 drive, so can you rent the alignement tool? or will a broom handle work :D (what I used in the past to align/centralise clutches on car engines!!). I am guessing it won't! but I don't want to buy the alignement tool for what I hope will be a one off job!!:eek: Maybe I just have to take it to my local shop and ask them to align it (I doubt they would lend/rent the tool).
Thanks for all and any advise!!:cool:

Gary

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: installing 4.3L mercruiser enigine- any hints?

The alignment should be checked EVERY time the drive is off (Which better be at least once a year minimum) to make sure the alignment is correct so the coupler doesn't fail. If the alignment is off a little bit or isn't lubed every 50 to 100 hrs, it will wear the alum. splines in the coupler out in short order.
Then you can pull the engine and replace a 300+ dollar coupler.
You can get the alignment bars off ebay for 40 to 50 bucks.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Don,

I thought the engine alignement was a set it once and never touch it!! I will look on ebay for a tool.

Gary

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I thought the engine alignement was a set it once and never touch it!! I will look on ebay for a tool.

It is, unless something goes bad, and finding out early is cheaper than replacing the coupler. Some possibilities are, Front motor mounts coming loose, Rear mount failure, Transom rotting