Engine Blubbers in Reverse

Boat Buddy

Recruit
I am currently working on a boat for my buddy and don't know how to interpret what is going on with the motor. The boat is a 1992 Lowe 2200 deck boat. It has a 1991 OMC Cobra 3.0 liter motor. The problem is that when I put it in reverse and try to throttle up the motor it just kind of blubbers and smells really rich sort of like the choke is stuck. If I work the throttle a little it will usually get past it and throttle up but not without some effort.

He has already had a new shift assist module put on the motor and I have rebuilt the entire carburetor (Holley 2bbl), put in new plugs, rotor cap, and distributor cap.

All these parts and labor have made the situation a little better but not cured the issue by any means. What puzzles me is that the motor throttles us just great without the lower unit being engaged. When I engage the prop in forward gear it does great other than a very slight hesitation. But when I put it in reverse gear it falls on its face. It engages easily in both forward and reverse so it doesn't appear to be a shifting issue.

Any and all thoughts would be most appreciated.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine Blubbers in Reverse

I am by no means an expert on OMC, but the ESA kills some of the cylinders while shifting, look at the shift plate & see if it needs some oil at the pivot points.....:)

Boat Buddy

Recruit

If the pivots at the shift plate were in need of lube wouldn't it take more effort to put it in reverse than in forward or would it react the same in either direction?

Boat Buddy

Recruit

One more question, Haut Medoc.

I keep reading about similar sounding issues with other OMC & Mercruiser owners concerning the need to replace the shift cable. Is there a possibility that this could also be the problem or a part of the problem?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I keep reading about similar sounding issues with other OMC & Mercruiser owners concerning the need to replace the shift cable. Is there a possibility that this could also be the problem or a part of the problem?

Absolutely. Nomrally a Mercruiser will die completely because it kills all the spark, not just to a few cylinders as the ESA system causes.
Usually the cables appear to be out of adjustment, but that is just because the are worn or rusted/corroded up and need replaced. They aren't something that just falls out of adjustment, the wear and corrode till they stop working.