Petcock for Dual Fuel Tank Setup

Krezyle

Recruit
I've been searching everywhere for an inline petcock for a dual fuel tank system. Auto parts stores, all the boating stores, hardware stores...you name it. I have two 6 gallon tanks that I run and want to have lines coming from both of them, running into the spliter petcock, then out to the engine. They run a 75 horse outboard merc, 1/4" tubing, but I could go bigger if I have to.

Normally I have to take the tanks out of the boat to go get them filled (no station on this lake), so having one running or mostly full while I have one out to get filled is a good thing. Its for this reason that I don't want to just use a t-splitter. That type of system would drain both tanks at the same time...not what I want. I also don't want to swap where the tanks are. If I run out on the lake, I just want to turn a knob and have it running again. I hate having to swap the tanks to different sides, or unplug them and spill gas all over my hands which is what normally happens.

Does anyone know about this type of petcock? I'm stumped. I know I could fabricate one out of brass piping parts, but adding all those pieces makes it fairly large, I want something a bit smaller. The price of building one is close to what I want though, don't really want to spend over $30 some bucks for it. Thanks for the help!

This is the idea of what it would probably look like, I think...
Switch.bmp

Here's something I found already, but its from Ireland, though they do make a merc model...
Tank%20Selector%20Valve.jpg

Here's one made by a motorcycle parts company, perfect, but they want $180 for it...
Expensive%20Switch.jpg

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Petcock for Dual Fuel Tank Setup

What you need is a fuel valve. West marine has one for $35. Go to westmarine.com and search fuel valve.

Krezyle

Recruit

That's more in the right direction...I saw one of those before, but that really looks like something I could buy at a hardware store for half that price. Or build out of brass parts for a third. Its also quite big, and would turn out even bigger after I added the barb adaptors to the sides... There has to be other options besides that, anything like what I drew?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

8087199.jpg

This is what was used on my boat. The tanks feed to the inlet on the right side and the bottom of the valve. It's actually fairly compact considering what it is.

The problem your going to have with hardware store setup is that your not going to get seals that are compatiable with motor fuels. Spend the $25 and use something that was designed for the application. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Krezyle

Recruit

I suppose that's the best I'm going to do. That 3 way valve looks to be the best fit, and is probably what I will use. Should I go with or without detent? I think detent is a groove that the knob would drop into to stop it at the right spot, but the site says its something about a regulating ball bearing. Anyone know?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Krezyle, You can also go the minimalist way. Build a single fuel line with a tee and the one quick disconnect for each tank. Only plug in one of the tank lines at a time.