1989 Force 150 - Rebuild?

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice
:( It looks like I'm needing to take a deeper look into my Force 150. There is serious rattling coming from the powerhead. I am thinking it's a loose ring or something wrong with one of the pistons.. I am going to test the compression on each cylinder tomorrow... I have never done a rebuild but I am thinking of tackleing this on my own.

I have a Clymer's manual.. my biggest consern is if I will be able to find all the parts I need.

Iboats doesn't list many parts for the 150hp Force on the website. Does anyone know where I could order a full gasket set?

I am also open to any advice before I start.

Thanks.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Force 150 - Rebuild?

rebuilt my 89 125 force last year, found all the parts I needed.

gasket set,pistons,rings,fuel pump, carb rebuild.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am having trouble locating a full gasket set for the 150, lots of sites have individual gaskets, but the full set keeps coming up as NLA

do you have a model number? I will keep checking

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

I'm getting the same info as you... I don't want to open up the motor without all the gaskets I will need to put it back together. My model # 1508E9A.

How was your motor running/sounding when you decided to rebuild? Did you need to bore out any cylinders? How many pistons did you replace? Did you check compression before starting?(if so what was compression differences?)

Thanks for the help!

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

What is the proper procedure for testing the compression on this motor?
I can't find it in my manual.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the proper procedure for testing the compression on this motor?
I can't find it in my manual.

pull the plugs, and make sure you ground the plug wires to the block if you don't you can blow out your packs. screw in compression gauge, give the motor 3 or 4 cranks. cylinders should be within 10 percent of each other.

My motor didn't sound bad, but would shake the boat at idle and slow speeds, had no hole shot at all, at wot I didn't notice it at all.

I had one blown piston, compression was 18psi yes I had it overbored and the whole block honed, I did replace 2 pistons total, the one that was blown, and one other. The previous owner had 1 and 4 rebuilt, 3 was blown but 2 was still original force piston so I just did that one right away also.

This was my first ever rebuild, and it went rather smooth, it is a very easy motor to work on, I took lot's of pics, and stared at the manual forever. :)

I will check one more place for a gasket kit for you

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm getting the same info as you... I don't want to open up the motor without all the gaskets I will need to put it back together. My model # 1508E9A.

sent you an instant message to where you can get the gasket set, 2 in stock

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

I did a compression test yesterday... I got 130 - 135 psi on all 5 cylinders. Could the rings be gone even if the compression is good?

I am really confused about where this noise is comming from.
What else could it be if not a cylinder?:confused:

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

compression sounds good to me, does it rattle even with the hood off? can you pinpoint close to where it is coming from? top, bottom, middle?

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Compression is real good, probably not rings or piston. Most likely a rod bearing.

viffer1

Recruit

I have a 1996 Force 120 that does the same thing. It has a mystery rattle between 3800-4800rpm. It sounds like a bad bearing or as if the motor is coming apart inside. It has had this condition for the last 200 hours (Yes, I said 200hrs!!!)and doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. I have tried several times to locate the cause each time without success. I would LOVE to know what you find out about this as it is a really annoying problem. Till then I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is not a warning of some massive internal failure. :(

MustangJAB02

Cadet

I have the same engine now and am rebuilding it. There was a chunk missing out of the 4th piston down from the top and was rattling around in the cylinder. I need a place to get parts from though, or parts list, anyone have anything? Thanks.