problem with brand new 50 ELPTO Merc

rubani

Recruit
Just bought a new boat with a Merc 50 ELPTO (2 stroke).

While accomplishind the motoe break-in procedure, I noticed the water stream from the water pump indicator hole ("pee hole") was a very weak stream. At idle, water would only drip out of the hole. At higher RPM's it come out in a broken stream, but very weak.

I ran a piece of wire in the pee hole and up into the tube. No debris or dirt daubers were noted.

After about 1.5 hours of total time on the motor, the stream suddenly became very strong and looked to be what I would consider normal for an outboard.

Anyone seen this before on a NEW motor that was on the showroom floor of the dealer (ie not kept outside)?

Also, I am concerned the motor may have overheated and damage occured prior to the "normal" water pump discharge occuring. The dealer where I purchased the boat says no alarm (low oil or overtemp) was installed in the boat???????

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Laddies

Banned
Re: problem with brand new 50 ELPTO Merc

It sounds like the impeller had a set

Laddies

Banned

When ever a engine sets for a period of time the rubber impeller vanes tend to take the shape of the pump housing, a new impeller will straighten it's self but a old one will get hard and have to be replaced

rubani

Recruit

When ever a engine sets for a period of time the rubber impeller vanes tend to take the shape of the pump housing, a new impeller will straighten it's self but a old one will get hard and have to be replaced

Thanks!