1984 Volvo Penta I/O Drive lift Broken! (Bayliner)

Danwec

Cadet
My 20ft 1984 capri (2.1L volvo penta, aq125) is equipped with an electric drive lift, not hydraulic power trim. Anyways, someone accidentally hit the throttle while the drive was up, which caused it to slam down, and now fails to work. The actuator motor runs, and even stops at what would be the upper and lower limits, but the drive doesn't move.
What is the deal here?? I was told a new trim motor is 700 bucks.

Is the mechanism repairable?
Can I remove it with the boat still in the water or does it need to come out?

This is so frustrating, since the boat's not worth much money (though it's very well cared for, in immac condition), and we had JUST had the trim repaired last year! (motor stopped running)
I really hope I can repair it myself! I can fabricate most item that I'd need... I have a fairly comprehensive shop.
Thanks!
Dan

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1984 Volvo Penta I/O Drive lift Broken! (Bayliner)

Did you look on the outside of the boat where the plunger comes thru? Does it move? Is the H bracket broken?

Danwec

Cadet

Thanks for the response. From what I can see, there is no movement on anything outside the hull.

Danwec

Cadet

Hmm. I was hoping someone could chime in who knows the system.

It's a basically brand new lift motor and mechanics, no corrosion or anything like that.
Motor turns from limit to limit, drive doesn't move.

Hasn't this happened to someone else??? Throttle gets hit, snaps the drive down... what breaks when that happens?? Can it be fixed w/boat in the water??

Thanks, again.

Dan

nick101eng

Recruit

not sure exactly what the problem would be but i do know that the tilt mechanism uses a gear system to push the rod in and out to tilt the outdrive it may have stripped the gears but then the limit switch probably wouldn't work. It may have broken the bottom portion of the push rod off. I don't have the manual in front of me but I will look when I get a chance and if I find anything else I will let you know.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

If some of those mechanical pieces broke I don't think you can fix this in the water. I would pull the boat out of the water and inspect all the mechanical parts, springs, lever bar, etc. to see what has broken. From what you report the motor is working but something on the drive itself snapped.

good luck

Joe

f_inscreenname

Commander

Its broke. Unlock and pick the outdrive up and see if you can pull the shaft down by hand. If so its broke.Trust me you are going to have to buy a used/new one for either parts or replace the whole thing. Start hunting eBay and don't buy the first one. They are on there all the time. But like Don says make sure you didn't break the ear off the outdrive first.