Seven days and counting.

gonefishie

Commander
I've gone cold turkey and left Smokersville since last Monday and am now still smoke free. I hopes I can keeps the streak going. I have been chewing so much chewing gums that my jaw is sored. :D

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Seven days and counting.

Way to go! :cool:

I hope to be joining you very soon! :)

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Just keep this picture in your head to help you; you're 80 yrs old, sitting in a chair attached to an oxygen tank, watching everyone else have fun around you. Everyone hates being around you cause you're miserable and make everyone else miserable and people just can't understand why you just won't die and make everyone happy. OR you're 80 and you run and play with the grandkids and go dancing or walking or whatever, but you're still very active and everyone loves being around you and hopes you'll live forever, which you might, because you gave up smoking. Hope this helps--it worked for me. After being around crotchety old bastards who smoked their entire lives and seeing how they ended up, I just decided that wasn't going to be me.
--
Stan

Smoke-free 10 yrs now after 17 yrs of 2 packs a day.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

My Grandma told me, before she left the *****ty world of lung cancer and heart probs due to a lifetime of somking.....

"it's like trying run while you breath thru a straw".....

ZmOz

Captain

Aww man...I always liked warm turkey better.

Ron G

Commander

Way to go!!!!one day im going to join ya!!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Soon enough you will counting the months and IMO the 6th month is tougher but you can make it.

Hang in there! Good Job.

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

:)Look at all the extra money you'll be able to spend on your boat!

Cigarettes are $10 a pack here in Canada.

I'm smoke free for the last 10 years. Hang in there.... soon you'll be clear sailing.:cool:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thats great news. You will be feeling so much better in a few months. You will know when you are finally a true non-smoker - - - when other peoples smoke bothers you. Took me about 2 years.

Tyme2fish

Commander

I'm only at 90 days myself. I've gained a few pounds but can breath better and smell once again. Keep it up brother!!!

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah I think it's really getting close to that time of binning the weed for good (the legal weed obviously!).

Especially when I read the bit about being 80yrs old and having an oxygen tank :eek:

I'm sure there are health & safety rules stopping you from smoking whilst strapped to an oxygen tank :D

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

My grandma died at 85 or so because of smoking. She lived in an apartment that any time you went in you could smell smoke and the walls were a yellow of this :) but the nasty version. They started out as white as they could get being an apartment. The doctors said that they could do surgery but if they did there was no way she would live. There was an arterie or something that was usually supposed to be the size of a pinky finger that from smoking increased to the size of a baseball. I'm 17 and I can't remember a time that she didn't smoke.

My father quit smoking when I was around 2 because I imitated him, a few years later he got cancer from smoking and was lucky that it didn't go into the lymph nodes and spread. He traveled about 40-50 miles 4 times a week to get radiation done to get rid of the cancer and he had to wear a mask like thing that sit on top of our refrigerator to remind him of the pain it was to get the radiation done.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

About a year ago I quit. I asked myself what is this cigarette doing for me? Bad breath, yellow teeth, nicotine stained fingers, nasty film on my windshield, stinky clothes, and lots of other nasty things. Those things were what the cigarette did for me. Things that I wanted out of my lifestyle.

I will admit that about once or twice a month I'll fire up a nice cigar depending on the social occasion. Other than the cigars, I haven't fired up a cigarette at all. The money savings was a bigger bonus that came along with quitting.

Good luck and don't go back to being a chimmney :D

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

About now gonefishie has stopped excreting smoke through his sweat. I'll bet he smells a lot better! :)

PS: I guess I won't have to fart when I walk past you. :) :)

gonefishie

Commander

About now gonefishie has stopped excreting smoke through his sweat. I'll bet he smells a lot better! :)

PS: I guess I won't have to fart when I walk past you. :) :)

Thanks for sparing me of your wrath your Gaseous One. :D

SoulWinner

Commander

About a year ago I quit. I asked myself what is this cigarette doing for me?

Answer: Making you look COOL! Right?

I am 7 weeks smoke free and loving it. This is a good thing GoneFishie, congrats to you!

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've gone cold turkey and left Smokersville since last Monday and am now still smoke free. I hopes I can keeps the streak going. I have been chewing so much chewing gums that my jaw is sored. :D

I quit with a half pack in my shirt pocket. My plan was to wait five minutes after the desire and if I still wanted one they were right there. I wouldn't have to panic and go buy another pack. After five minutes the desire usualy went away. I carried them till they were so dried up they wouldn't have been any good anyway. Worked for me, might not for you. That was 20 years ago and they were cammels and palmall, anything without a filter.lllllllll Good luck, you won't regret it if you make it.................Jerry

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I have been chewing so much chewing gums that my jaw is sored. :D

After another month you will be able to chew all day without pain. Might want to switch to sugarless if you are not already doing so. The worst is when you chomp down on the insides of your cheeks. Gum was my main vise and after a year I quit that as well. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Keep it up - people quit every day and you can too.

At 40 years old I just put three months between me and a year's worth of surgeries and chemotherapy (bone cancer / fractured leg) and I can tell you that after that experience I'd do everything in my power to avoid doing it again. I've never been a smoker, drinker, drug user, worked in a heavy industrial setting, am physically active and fit, and othewise in perfect health. It just goes to show that anyone can get cancer. Why increase the liklihood by doing ANYTHING that can increase your risk? I know quitting is tough, but doing chemo and surgeries, even if you're fortunate like me and it isn't too late, is a very dark and hellish experience for you AND your family. Even worse is that cancer is just one of many risks smoking is associated with.

You're on the right track - keep it up. If you fail, quit again. If you fail again, quit again. You just have to quit on time more than you fail right?