Ford Exhaust Manifolds

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
A bud dropped off a 24' Reinell that had a the 188hp (302) Ford. He wants to put a 351 in it but not sure if all the stuff from the 302 will work. I checked the iboats parts on exhaust mans and they seem to be the same animal.

However just because the exhaust will bolt up to the 351, will everything else from the 302 work on the 351. Thought I would ask now before running into areas of my unknown.........Thanks.....SS

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ford Exhaust Manifolds

Everything will bolt right on, except the 351 is taller & wider.....
Which means that the y pipe will not line up if he has the old style log manifolds with the risers on the end......
He either needs a ypipe from a 233 or a 255 & they are rare, because merc only used the 351 for a year or two......
He could go to aftermarket center rise manifolds & use elbows to make it work......
He will also need to modify the throttle linkage if he is going to a 4 barrel carb, & will need a new spacer.......
He will also need to take into account the taller & wider profile of the assembled engine which is about 1.5 inches, as the engine cover may no longer fit......;):)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks Haut a bunch. The clearance for the engine cover is no big deal since the cover is gone! It has the log style manifolds. So it sounds as if going to the 351 maybe a bigger headache in the waiting. Now to put my sly talking to the test and convince him it is a better idea to stay with the 302. Thanks again........SS

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

With a 24 footer it might be worth the little bit of effort. There is a lot of grunt in that 351. They also have different dizzys.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I talked to my friend last night, he just got back from his honeymoon. He is really intrested in putting the 351 in vs the 302. He is planning on using this boat on Lake Erie so the extra umph will be nice to have.

The "Y" pipe is a 3 piece unit. I never saw one before, but then I'm not a professional marine mech either. To get the extra width on the Y, can a spacer be put in where the 90's of the Y meet at the T that goes into the gimabal unit? If the witdth is about 1 1/2 inches wider with the 351, the space should be only about 3/4 for each spacer. That should give us the extra width. If this is possible, then it shouldn't be that much trouble to do the conversion.

Then he asked about using an truck block that has fuel injection. I told him that the block is okay to use, but all other componets must meet USCG requirements. So I'm not sure on the fuel injection set up from a truck though? I know they require an O2 sensor, but where would that be installed? or can the o2 sensor be bypassed and still have a good working injection system? Best yet, I should talk Mr. Moneybags into getting off that thick wallet and buy an approved aftermarket injection set up. Being a Ford, I'm not sure if one would be available for marine use though.