Low voltage, lost electric start

mtstringer

Cadet
Hi folks,
Well last week I was replacing my trolling motor mount fish finder on my 1995 372V, well I must of touched the pos and neg together and blew the fuse. So when I replaced the fuse I noticed that the prior owner didn't have all the fuses in. The ones that were out were cig. lighter, nav lights, and interior lights. So I replaced them all and was very happy to find out that everything worked. I went fishing yesterday morning and turned on my drivers fish finder/GPS before I started the motor (150HP XRi) and when I turned the key it cranked kinda hard and the GPS said low voltage. After twice which is unusual the motor started. I started it about 3 more times in the morning with no problems, all electronics that run off of cranking battery were fine. Then as it always happens, I was on the far side of the lake and turned the key to head home and click, click, click. We pull started it and ran like a top. When I got home I put a meter on it and it had 12v and still no joy. Swapped with trolling motor battery and Clicking again. 12v to voltage reg, and 12v to starter. Jumped starter directly to positive of batter and just sparked and didn't turn over. So like a good Mechanic I hit the starter with a hammer about 3 times and it has started no problems. Long story but, does anyone think those extra fuses were out for a reason and maybe the battery was being drawn by stray voltage from those systems or did I have a stuck battery. Thanks for listening to me go on.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Low voltage, lost electric start

It sound like a short or shorts in the boat wiring harness and when you replaced the fuses it began the voltage leak again

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Low voltage, lost electric start

1) a battery can't "stick". 2) There is no such thing as "stray" voltage from accessories. 3) Don't you think striking the starter with a hammer is the clue here? Especially since jumping it directly caused only sparks. The starter is very likely dragging (bad brushes, bad bearings and/or corrosion, or a bad spot on the commutator. That problem and the fuses are a weird coincidence but otherwise not related. Any auto starter/alternator/generator rebuilding shop will be able to rebuild the starter for you far cheaper than a new one.