GT40 RPM Dropping

rossl

Cadet
Hi All,

I have a PCM GT40 351 in a 1996 Nautique Super Sport V Drive, when running at any rpm it suddely looses power and rpm's for a few seconds (we slow down) and them goes back to the exact rpm and speed we where going before (speed's up).

Its also almost the same rpm ratio as well eg. 1800 -> 1200, 2800 -> 2200, 3200 -> 2500rpm etc. It can happen every couple of minutes, then not occur for an hour. Any idea's?

Cheers
Ross

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: GT40 RPM Dropping

It sounds like it may be dropping a cylinder. When was the last time it had a complete tune up, plugs, cap, wires, rotor, fuel filter(s), timing checked?

rossl

Cadet

There does seem to be more smoke from the exhaust when it happens, could it be un-burnt fuel?

cheers
rossl

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It could.....
Like RP says, when was a full tune up last done?.....
I would pay close attention to the plug wire & see if there is any chafing.....
Does it have any effect on the other gauges?......:confused:

rossl

Cadet

No other gauges effected, only tach, i've ordered cap, rotor, leads, plugs to see if that makes a difference, is there a coil on a gt40 (i can't see one as its a bit tight in the vdrive)

cheers
rossl

rossl

Cadet

Have now changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor and its still the same, testing it at idle the rpm will go from 600->750rpm and sometimes stall going into gear, somebody else told me it may be running too rich? What do you think?

cheers
rossl

Bondo

Staff member

somebody else told me it may be running too rich?

You Just changed the Sparkplugs,...........
What did they Tell you,..??..??.......
What Color were they,..??......

rossl

Cadet

Plugs look ok light brown color, but our boat runs on LPG Gas (autogas), so harder to tell.

rossl