Mounting an O/B to transom

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Just wondering what is the best way to mount a heavy outboard motor to a transom? I just bought a 115 yamaha O/B and this thing is heavy!!! Is there a better way becides having some buddies over and 3/4 of us killing ourselvs whyle the other one bolts it on? Just wondering if you guys had some kind of trick for this. Also what kind of hardware should i use? It seems like the holes are going to line up to the holes in the transom already soo thats good. I was planning on using the thickest SS bolts i can fit through the "clamp" part of the motor, and then using rubber washers then large SS flat washers on the inside. So, on the inside where the bolt comes through up against the inner glass skin on the transom would be the rubber washers, then the flat washers, and then the nuts clamping everything together. Does this sound right? Was thinking about using a bunch of 4200 or 5200 all around where the bolts go through the transom. Thanks guys and i have a feeling that someone has a trick to make the phisical part easier but as of now im going to man power it into place and have the bolts ready. Thanks!!!

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mounting an O/B to transom

You might call a wrecker service that still has a boom truck. I know most of them now are ro-ro's but there might be one willing to help you lift for an hourly rate. Found one to remove an old 5.7 - billed me $35.00 !
I would stay away from installing rubber washer's - they will deteriorate over time and you will have some very uneeded slack in the mounting. It will happen ever so slowly you probably won't notice any problem until it's too late.
Using 3M's 5200 is also not a good idea as it is classified as an adhesive, not a sealant. It will work by all means, but you will bust your butt if you ever want to remove it.
Use the 4200 and apply it to the bolts before you slide them through the transom. You will want as much protection against water intrusion as possible. Then you can apply more once they are seated. It doesn't take much water to start the rot process.
Do remember that you are looking at a seven day cure time on the 4200. They do make a fast cure - 24 hours. Another thing to keep in mind.
By the way - if you can't find that wrecker do you know anyone who had a big ole' oak??????? Good luck!!! :D:D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

A heavy ratchet strap and a tree works for me.
I use stainless bolts,aluminum flat washers and stainless self locking nuts..
The 4200 fast cure is the deal..:D

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Try and keep all of the metals similiar. Stainless steel throughout. :D

Willyclay

Captain

I use a 2,000lb capacity block&tackle connected to the trailer hitch on my SUV operated by my wife. This rig is suspended from a 3/4" rod with a closed-loop eye that is bolted through a horizontal 2X4 deadman on my deck close to the double sill joists for maximum strength. I also did the same thing in the carport of my previous house with the deadman on the ceiling joists. Did manage to crack a joist where there was a big knot. I sistered on a new joist and continued to handle motors this way, including OMC V-4's and Mercury inline sixes. Haven't dropped one and that covers 30 years plus!