chrysler/force lower unit

i have a 50 horse force motor and need a lower unit. I have a small hole by one of the bolts that conect the lower unit. Water and milky oil is leaking out. Is the lower unit the problem? Will a chrysler lower unit work on this?

Thanks

MN_Jack76

Cadet
Re: chrysler/force lower unit

The Force, as I understand, is a Chrysler powerhead and a Mercury lower unit, read the post below and hopefully all you need is a gear lube change and possibly an adjustment of the linkage.

MN_Jack76

Cadet

While I'm very good with cars, I know very little about marine engines/lower units. The only reason I'm writing is because I have a 1989 50 horse Force and more importantly a manual. Milky fluid is a sign of water mixing with the gear oil, which of course degrades the oil, but is not uncommon to find come out of lower units. I replace my gear oil regularly as a precaution, but if it's getting contaminated quickly, I'ts time for lower unit seals. Also to remember to fill the lower hole with oil and force the water/oil mix out the top hole untill it comes out looking like pure gear lube (you don't need special tools the oil comes with a nozzle and squeeze bottle), then quickly replace the lower screw then the similar looking screw above.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I have a small hole by one of the bolts that conect the lower unit. Water and milky oil is leaking out. Is the lower unit the problem?

Thanks

Can you post a picture of this problem? Is the hole perfectly round like it is missing a screw or is it a definite hole that was caused by some sort of damage? If the hole you mentioned is up by the screws that hold the lower unit to the motor leg there should be no gear oil up there. If that is where you are seeing it chances are it is unburned fuel oil mix. When you remove the drain screw from the lower unit is the oil milky or still clean?

I have been doing alot of seaching in the last couple of hours and also dropped my lower unit. This hole is suppose to be there i guess. The milky liquid is coming from this hole, but when I drained the lower unit you could deffinetly tell that water was in the lower unit. I had just changed the lower gear lube a couple of weeks ago. I did order a lower seal kit. Not sure how bad this will be to put in. I do not have a manual.

Also is there suppose to be gaskets on the water pump and a gasket where the lower unit attaches to the moter?

MN_Jack76

Cadet

You know I don't remember if a gasket was required (dropped mine last summer) but I do remember that the shift linkage shafts on the right side of the lower unit (With the adjustment and lock nuts) was a pain because I didn't mark it quite accuratly enough. It seemed to perform well on the driveway, but would't engage sometimes on the river until some tinkering. Good Luck and hope it all works out well!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

And when you change the lower unit oil, first drain out all the old oil with the engine vertical. Then squirt in the new oil through the lower hole. Then with the nozzle still in place, screw in the upper screw. This creates a vacuum that keeps oil from running out the lower hole. Then remove nozzle and screw in the lower plug. Wait 1/2 hour with the engine vertical to allow any air bubbles to rise to the top of the unit. Then top off with gear oil.

Oil floats on water. If you try to force out all the old oil by adding new until fresh oil appears at the top vent hole, any free water that may be in the case will tend to remain there.

Last edited:

how difficult is lower unit seal kits to put in? Do I need special tools?