Just picked up a boat with a "StarFlite 100 S' evenrude outboard - help please

Dave_A

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I'm 100% new to boat motors, but I do have mechanical experience working on motorcycle engines (spec old Suzukis)...

I just picked up a 'free' boat with the aforementioned motor... The boat seems to be in good shape, although the interior needs cleaning/painting - it's been sitting a while....

The motor is apart, apparently the prior owner managed to fry the lower part (I think it's called the 'leg' - the part with the prop in it), and a 'good' one was included along with the original...

A bunch of the wiring was disconnected up in the engine area, presumably to get the motor case pieces off to remove the bottom...

So, where do I start in 'reactivating' said motor? Can I run it with the 'leg' removed, if I run garden hoses from the 2 pipes into a trash barrel (I assume the 2 pipes coming down from the motor are coolant in and coolant out)...

Where do I get info to see that the wiring 'up top' is as it should be?

I assume this is a 2-cycle motor and I need to feed it 'oil-gas', right?

Any other advice?

I'm pretty good mechanically, I just have ZERO power boat & boat motor experience...

Oh...

How do I get this thing to drop down... It seems to be stuck in the 'up' position, and I can't find anything to indicate it has electric tilt.... So I'm assuming it's manual tilt... Should it tilt easily? Is it a corrosion issue, or am I not looking hard enough for a mechanical motor-tilting system of some sort?

redfury

Commander
Re: Just picked up a boat with a "StarFlite 100 S' evenrude outboard - help please

Re: Just picked up a boat with a "StarFlite 100 S' evenrude outboard - help please

I've got a buddy with that motor. You should get a manual for it. Boat motors have very specific things about them you need to know that normal mechanically inclined folks may overlook or simply not know about. You can run it without the "lower Unit" but only for a short period of time. The water pump is in the lower unit, so it won't get any active cooling without it connected. The lower unit is hydro electrically activated, and without the controls connected, it will be engaged into forward by default. The two tubes you see, one is for the waterpump to throw water up into the powerhead, the other is the exhaust pipe, as the exhaust exits the motor through the propeller.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

WHAt model have tou got there? give us model number.

Dave_A

Seaman Apprentice

WHAt model have tou got there? give us model number.

Model number 100783A

Control Unit is marked 'SELECTRIC'... I am assuming this is a 70s motor (based on it having 'electronic ignition' (IIRC) markings on the engine cover (or did boat motors get away from points before bike/car motors did)...

Given that I can't even get it to tilt down, any advice I can get would be appreciated...

Dave_A

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone?????

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

When someone gives you the year get the OMC shop manual specifically for that engine. I would even begin to mess with it without one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

1967 is NOT Hydro-electric shift. It is Electric shift. Works entirely differently. Takes a different switch in the control. If you put a Hydro-electric switch in it it will bust the drive shaft. Also, it takes ONLY "Premium Blend" in the lower unit. Get it from a Evinrude or Johnson dealer.

Gas mix is 50:1, use TC-W3 certified outboard oil. That's 1 qt to 6 gallons of gas.

Yes, it is electronic ignition. Don't mess with it till you get a factory manual because you can blow it with the greatest of ease.

Look on the port (left) side stern bracket. See a lever sticking upward? Give the motor a tug toward more tilt-up, swing the lever toward the transom, and let the motor down.

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

50:1 is more like 1/2 quart oil to 6 gal gas

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's 4 quarts in a gallon which make 24 quarts in 6 gallons. 24 quarts divided by 50 = 0.48 quarts. You're right waterwitch2. That's confusing No wonder the rest of the world is metric. 25 liters of gas and a half liter of oil is 50:1.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Had brain freeze. A Pint of oil to 6 gallons, not a quart. Can't get away with anything around here!

Dave_A

Seaman Apprentice

1967 is NOT Hydro-electric shift. It is Electric shift. Works entirely differently. Takes a different switch in the control. If you put a Hydro-electric switch in it it will bust the drive shaft. Also, it takes ONLY "Premium Blend" in the lower unit. Get it from a Evinrude or Johnson dealer.

Gas mix is 50:1, use TC-W3 certified outboard oil. That's 1 qt to 6 gallons of gas.

Yes, it is electronic ignition. Don't mess with it till you get a factory manual because you can blow it with the greatest of ease.

Look on the port (left) side stern bracket. See a lever sticking upward? Give the motor a tug toward more tilt-up, swing the lever toward the transom, and let the motor down.

Thanks...

It was stuck in the UP position... A liberal amount of PB Blaster sprayed on the hinges, combined with ALOT of pressure (I essentially had to sit on the drive shaft housing) got it loosened up, and it works now...

One of the posters here was going to scan some manual pages for me - if you're still out there, I'm still interested...

Also, does this thing have a DRAIN PLUG somewhere on the crankcase? Any way to flush oil thru the thing & clean out any 'crap' that may have accumulated (prior owner kept the engine in a state of disassembly, so *anything* (water, stale gas, etc) could be sloshing around in there)....

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The only part with oil in it is the lower end where the gears are located, below the water pump. There should be two plugs; one at the bottom and one further up. Take them both out to drain the gear oil. If there's water mixed with the oil it'll be milky or the water may have separated and settled in the bottom. If you do have water in the gear case you should find out why and where it entered. It may be as simple as a poor O-ring on the drain plug or it may be a bad seal or cracked gear case. Would this motor have been stored in freezing temperatures? If so, it could be damaged unless properly winterized. Fill the gear case from the bottom until oil comes out the top hole. There's no oil in the power head. The lubricating oil for the crank and pistons is mixed in the gas.
Replace the water pump in the "good" lower end that you received before you install it.

redfury

Commander

Yeah, I was mistaken, or wrote the wrong thing. It is electrically shifted. Just depends on what lower unit you have, the manual I've looked at goes all the way up to 5 different types of lower units for the motors in the range the manual covers.

Dave_A

Seaman Apprentice

The only part with oil in it is the lower end where the gears are located, below the water pump. There should be two plugs; one at the bottom and one further up. Take them both out to drain the gear oil. If there's water mixed with the oil it'll be milky or the water may have separated and settled in the bottom. If you do have water in the gear case you should find out why and where it entered. It may be as simple as a poor O-ring on the drain plug or it may be a bad seal or cracked gear case. Would this motor have been stored in freezing temperatures? If so, it could be damaged unless properly winterized. Fill the gear case from the bottom until oil comes out the top hole. There's no oil in the power head. The lubricating oil for the crank and pistons is mixed in the gas.
Replace the water pump in the "good" lower end that you received before you install it.

The motor in question has SOME SORT of liquid (either old oil-gas mix, or water) sloshing around in the crankcase... I can hear it slosh when the motor is traversed left/right...

My (minimal) understanding of 2-stroke motors indicates that the motor's crank/rods/etc are lubed by oil-gas mix, right?

Is there a way to drain the crankcase, besides tearing down the whole thing?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well lets hope it isn't water in there!! Normally I would say just crank it with the plugs out but if there is so much that you can hear it sloshing that might not be such a good idea. Liquid doesn't compress and there is compression in the crankcase. Take the (4) bypass covers off the sides of the cylinders and dump it out. Then replace the covers and crank it with the plugs out.