Power Windows?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a '98 Ford Windstar cargo van now and am looking at a 2000 model.
The guy wants 500 dollars for it which is a steal.
I ask him what's wrong and he say's he went to hook up a power inverter
converting 12V's to 110 and blowed something and the windows won't work
now.
He say's everything else works, just the windows won't.
Any ideas what he has blown?

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Power Windows?

Body Control Module maybe??....Not sure.., I'd have to pull the print to narrow it down.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you check fuses also? I know it sounds minimal but most people overlook then. Just a thought.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have not checked anything yet, was just throwing it out there to see what my buds on here say.

Drowned Rat

Captain

If the fuse panel was doing it's job, that's all that should have blown. Check to see if the power windows are on the same fuse as the cig. lighter.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Any ideas what he has blown?
.....well I'm not sure about that....but I don't think the two have much to do with one another?
Hooking up a converter incorrectly would do more damage to a lot more than a window control.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hooking up an inverter incorrectly should do nothing more than blow the fuse on the car side. It may eat the inverter or damage whatever you're powering with it, but the car should be fine.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Most power inverters require a large amount of current to operate, so most folks wire them up to a substantial circuit, like the headlights,power winders, cig lighter ect.
These often have relays and fuesable links in addition to a fuse or circuit breaker. Look for what appears to be a "cooked" wire close to the battery or alternator, and see if it has continuity (out-of-circuit, natch).
That would be all that normally gives-away the presence of a fuseable link.
And placing a larger demand upon an inverter than it can provide will toast the inverter THEN, because it is shorted, will blow the weakest link.

rwise

Captain

I'll have to go with most likely is blown fuse/fuse link, I'ld buy it in a heart beat!