Stuarts apply to me?

thewooddogg

Seaman
Hey everyone,

I'm new to boating and just bought a 1992 Four Winns 190 with an OMC Cobra 5.0. Lucky for me it's performing fantastically so far!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the following shift adjustment instructions apply to me?
http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/index.html

The instructions he has say they apply to 1986 - 1991. Not 1992. Does my year of OMC have the same problems?

My boat seems to shift ok, but definitely doesn't "shift with a finger."

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stuarts apply to me?

Do you have a shift interrupt switch system with an ESA module??????
Is the raw water pump in the outdrive?

thewooddogg

Seaman

I'll be honest, I don't know. I'm brand new to the boat world and don't 100% know what I'm looking at. Any tips or links that could help me identify if I have an ESA module? Or if the raw water pump is in the outdrive?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

First of all you need to verify what year your engine is, just because the boat is a 1992 does not mean the engine/drive is also (could be 1991). Look on the engine, probably one of the valave covers for the model/serial number plate and post the model # back here. It will probably start off like 502

thewooddogg

Seaman

Sorry to revive this old thread.. but I finally got my engine model.

502APRJUB

Don S

Recheck your SN, I think that "U" is actually supposed to be a "V" which would make it a JV model, or 1993. A 92 model would have an AM instead of a JV (not even close)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It's pretty important to know which model you're talking about be cause right around that time frame OMC went to a cone clutch (Volvo I think)

Take a look at the Doug Russell parts catalog and you can click thru the year, model etc and see actual OMC pictures of what some of the stuff looks like.

It would be advantageous for you to get a correct OMC service manual.

If it's a cone clutch. The Hastings article outlining how to adjust the lower shift cable doesn't apply.

Cheers,

Rick

Don S

The MD models (94) were the first year of the OMC/Volvo joint venture. His is the last year of the dog clutch models.