Should I get a new prop?

Bigjohn7447

Recruit
I have a 2005 15 ft starcraft deck boat with a 90 hp mercury 2-stroke. When ever i try to tube someone the boat can't get up on plane. I hovers around 13 mph and 4,000 rpms. I was thinking mabye its the prop flexing so i need a stainless steel prop. I already got a hydrofoil and it help when we aren't tubing but when we are tubing it doesn't make a difference. Anyone got some advice?
Thanks
John

NEWSCHOOL

Recruit
Re: Should I get a new prop?

a new prop might help bigger pitch but i had that problem and it ended up being the coil , it still ran and idled fine just didnt have enough juice to plane out

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like you need a lower pitch prop. That is, if your boat runs out fine with no tube. I have different props for cruising and tubing, i dont like lugging my motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to the Prop Forum

Bigjohn7447

Recruit

Could it be possible that the motor is just screwed up and its not the prop, because last summer i could pull a tube and get on plane in about 15 seconds. That was without the hydrofoil though. Is the hydrofoil messing up the preformance?

Bondo

Staff member

Is the hydrofoil messing up the preformance?

Ayuh,........ It sure Sounds like it.........

'cause.......
I hovers around 13 mph and 4,000 rpms.
That sounds like you're spinning more Air than Water.........

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer

a 90 hp on a 15' boat should have no problem pulling tubers or skiiers. I have a 14' with a 45 hp that pulls tubes and skiiers.

Bigjohn7447

Recruit

Its a really wide deck boat. Imagine if you will if a speedboat and a pontoon were to mate and make a boat, that what it looks like.

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a hydrofoil on the 85 johnson on my 16ft jonboat. It actually gave so much lift to the rear of the boat that the front sat lower than the rear at full speed. So I removed it. she sits perfect at wot now, and I gained 14mph

Last edited: