15hp 1976 evinrude fuel pump help

kingfish999

Recruit
ive been working on my 1hp 1976 evinrude for a while and the enine won run unless i pull out the choke every second or so. i beleve its the fuel pump not pumping. i pulled off the fuel hose from the pump to the carb and started the motor and no fuel was being pumped out. after, i took the fuel pump apart and found some gunk in it but i dont know if thats whats causeing it. im putit back together now but i have a little spring with a nub. i know its in 1 of 2 areas wherefuel sucks in gas and where fuel pushesout gas but not sure which. also i dont know if there was another of this spring. this is the fuel pump i have http://www.boatmotors.com/mall/part...&gd_poid=109266&gd_row=5&**********=545028355. so questions are:

1: can there be another reason my engine stalles like this?
2: do i need a new pump or can i get this old 1 to work?
3: are there 2 of these springs with nubs or just 1?
4: where does this spring go?
5: was this a good test to do since i dont have a fuel pressure gauge?

any help will be apprecited. i might not be able respond for a week becuase im going out of town

kingfish999

Recruit
Re: 15hp 1976 evinrude fuel pump help

nvm, i figuered it all out and thefuel pump works good now. it didnt solve te problem but we think that it was the slow speed needle being broken. however can u tell me if the needle is suppose to be like this pic? its hollow inside the end of it and looks like it was made like this but im know it should have a point. can some1 tell me if its suppose to look like ths or if its broken?