Outdrive will NOT go back on...

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 86 OMC 4.3L. Last night i changed out the shift cable with no problems at all. had the outdrive off and new cable in in less than an hour. After lining everything up i tried to put the outdrive back on, and it WILL NOT go on. It's getting cought up at that rubber boot that it has to go through. Has anyone else had this problem? Why is it soo tight there? it only passes through it doesn't even seal there. I tried for about two hours. Nothing.... i pushed it in soo hard i could see the rubber boot starting to come off. What's the deal?Please help!

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Outdrive will NOT go back on...

Do you have an alignment tool? It's critical to make sure the drive is lined up correctly. If not, it could eat the engine coupler quickly. Also, too much grease could cause a hydrolock type situation...no room as the grease doesnt compress

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, i used the allignement tool, but i really don't understand what it does. It went in easily, i took it out and put the drive in and tried to slide it on. There wasn't that much grease on it even though the manual showed to grease it up alot. I just made sure it was slippery.

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shifter is in forward. it's not even touching the splines yet. it hasn't gone past the gimbal housing. that boot is holding it up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Shifter in forward?

He has an OMC, not a Merc Alpha. The Alpha type is the ONLY drives that has to be in forward to install.

Since the ujoints are hitting the bellows, replace the bellows. THey get swelled up from people using grease on them to get the ujoints past.
Then use some dish liquid on the bellows if it needs lubrication in the future.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

After the bellows replacement have a second pair of hands holding the drive shaft straight and turn it until they feel it go into the splines..
Make sure the V in the shift rod is aligned with the bell crank..

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Replaced the bellows, and put it back together in less than 30min. by myself. That was the best 70.00 i've ever spend.