Damaged another one

pakrz

Cadet
I have torn up another aluminum prop on my Tahoe 215. I don't even recall hitting anything and just noticed it after taking the boat out of the water. I run a Mercruiser 5.0, 220 hp I/O.

I'm considering upgrading to an aluminum prop. Are there any downfalls outside of the cost? How do I find the proper pitch for the boat?

Thanks -

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Damaged another one

I have torn up another aluminum prop
I'm considering upgrading to an aluminum prop.

Auh,....... I fail to see the Question........ Replace your prop with another of the Same pitch.......

If you're asking about Upgrading to SSteel,.........
I think you probably Shouldn't..............
Because,........
I don't even recall hitting anything and just noticed it after taking the boat out of the water.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

My wife manages to mess up about three props a year. I would like a SS prop, but I think I like the idea that the AL is taking the damage and not my drive.

Stick with AL if you are misteriously damaging props.

BF

Lieutenant

are you replacing them, or having it fixed? It is cheap to have an alum prop repaired, and ends up as good as new... not so for SS. Definitely stay with alum until you can go a long time without dings.

Marv

Cadet

2" pitch more for a SS prop over an aluminum one. I don't use aluminum props on my outboards for the reason that they don't last a week.

pakrz

Cadet

Sorry for the confusing post. I meant to say I was considering upgrading to a SS prop. I decided to purchase a new aluminum prop and have the damaged one repaired. As I ding them up I'll just switch them out with the good one.

Thanks for the help.