Changing my own oil??

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm going to change my own oil tonight. I have the oil, filter, and an oil pump for removing the oil. On my engine, I believe I have to pump the oil out of the dipstick tube. That being the case, when do I remove the oil filter? Is there any way to remove the filter w/o making a mess??

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Changing my own oil??

Ayuh,.........

Crack it Loose with your Filter Wrench,.........
Slip a gallon sized Freezer Baggie over/ around it,........
Spin it Off into the Baggie,...... Zip it Up,+ Toss it..............;)

BoatAddiction

Seaman Apprentice

And you remove that filter AFTER you have pumped the oil pan dry. If your pump is like mine, take a few beers along. You may be there a little while.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got done changing my oil, WHEW - What a messy job. Went pretty quick tho.

Thanks for the info ppl.

thumpar

Admiral

It is a pretty good feeling when you are done. I change my own and the first time went smooth.

The tip about the zip lock bag is great. I was wrapping paper towels around it so this will save time and mess.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I too like the bag trick.............will try it next time!

BradyA

Cadet

In addition to the freezer-bag-over-the-filter trick, one thing that I've found handy is to buy a valve with a tapered end that fits the oil plug hole (probably a 1/2"). Then I just hook up a clear hose, run it out the drain plug hole in the transom, and I can drain into a regular oil drain pan. Works perfect, no mess.

BoatAddiction

Seaman Apprentice

Brain cramp...Now I feel ignorant. I guess it really doesn't matter, assuming the boat hasn't recently been running. I'm used to thinking of a recently running car engine where I always give time for the oil to drain back into the pan and out before spinning the filter. Seems to save a bit on the mess.

riverjet502

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The way I change my oil...

When I built my motor I installed a drain hose on the oil pan. I have a 10 qt pan. I had the local hydraulic shop install fittings to match my oil pan drain hole to a 3/8 hydraulic hose. I had to bush down from a 12 an fitting on the pan to 3/8 pipe thrd. I then slide this hose through the bilge drain when I want to drain my oil.

So I come home from the river, back boat into garage, slide drain hose through bilge drain, unthread cap off hose, stick hose end in 5 gallon bucket lined with heavy trash bag, Turn TV on, walk to frig get beer, sit on stool, drink beer while engine oil drains & bs with neighbor, go back to frig get beer for neighbor, 6 beers later when neighbor leaves grab welding gloves, unscrew oil filter from transom. (remote filter, learned long ago to get the filter out from under the motor) Gotta work smarter not harder here!!! Time invested minus neighbor about 10 minutes and no messes.....