engine mount rot

dr1750

Recruit
I wish I had veiwed this site before I bought my boat........Engine coupler went down due to front engine mount being rotten and collapsing to the hull. Did not seem to be a big deal but the fiberglass has been seperated for a LONG time and the stringer that runs from bow/stern is rotten (for what looks to be about a foot) as well. Will I have to replace that complete stringer? Does it run the full length of the boat.

Marina shop said he could fix it for $350 labor and & $150 for the coupler and then whatever it cost to build a new mount + labor. He does nt know that the bow/stern stringer is rotten yet.

Depending on everyones response i m waiting w/ my pocket knife and drill to get started on the floor removal.

Thanks

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: engine mount rot

If your motor mount is that rotten, chances are that you will be replacing the stringers and transom as well. Poke around with a sharp object like an awl to see how far the rott has got. There is alot of info on this site on stringer and transom replacement. Do a search and you will be reading for days.

Good luck and Welcome to iboats and boating.

Have a great day,

Rob.

dr1750

Recruit

I did and it s solid about 6" forward and 6" behind where the engine mount stringer was nailed in. This is a 96 Caravelle 1750. Those stringers are full of foam and I cant tell how thick they are. I pulled part of the carpet up and haven t found screw yet. Is the floor glued down? Can I fix whats rotten or will I have to replace the whole stringer? Do I need to find a boat to put this motor and outdrive in?

Thanks

Coors

Captain

Hold on; I am trying something new.
It will take weeks to see if it works'
I have epoxied in air hose fitting into the stringers, in order to blow air in and out; in order to dry it out.
Then pour anti-freeze in, to kill the fungus.
Then pump in cpes, under pressure.(with dried wood)
Probably won't work, but I don't feel like pulling the engine and out-drive at this moment.

dr1750

Recruit

Thanks for your replies. Been out on another job and been thinking of an easier fix. Why couldn t I fab up some steel that would extend from the floor (where there is good wood)into the engine bed, under the center engine mount and out the other side and lag it all down to the floor on each side of the motor? I would plan to fix the rotten stringer at a later date(yeah right, not if it ll work) My family is counting on me to get it going pretty quick.

Would it work?

Thanks