question on lighting for night fishing

dpfundst

Seaman
Hi

I have a 17FT Wellcraft Center Console with a 90Hp Yamaha 2 stroke
A single battery
a 9 Volt "cigarette lighter" plug on the console

I have a Perko Mast Stern Light and a Perko Bow Nav Light

I am looking for advice on additional lighting for the cockpit, bow area in order to have enough light at night for fishing and getting around
Salt Water - Cape Cod south side,

Thanks
Dwight

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: question on lighting for night fishing

You don't have a 9V cigarette lighter socket. You have a 12V accessory receptacle. It is powered by the 12V battery in your boat. There are a bunch of 12V LED (low current draw) and other interior lights available right here on iBoats that can be used to add as much light as you need.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking the same thing and plan on installing something similar to these check eBay.
You definately want LED's, much less power consumption and low heat.

GatorTom

Seaman Apprentice

The LEDs like Nova posted the link to are what I have in my boat. I have 3 of the round ones and they light up my deck plenty. I have 3 12v receptacles in the front for fishing lights, etc. And I use a cat eyes LED on the bill of my cap for tying knots (get the green LED and the bugs will leave you alone).

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i found blue works very well, and doesn't mess with the night vision as bad.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just read a bunch of lab notes (google) on insect's attraction to colored LED's.
(Much depends on total brightness) Green is used in some traps and showed a 8:1 improvement in captures. (some) White and Blue's emit more UV, hence attracts more bugs and is used in some electronic bug traps.
No word on RED, probably attracts the vice squad....

Has anyone put rope lights under the gunnels? I was thinking of doing this for indirect floor lighting.
BTW, a "must have" for boat tool and tackle box.

krazykev

Cadet

I bought some LED light's at Cabela's that work excellent and have them in my boat. First is a "Utility Strip Light" with 12 LED's made by Seasense For $14.99 ea. Second is two 6' rope light's that I have on the sides of the floor. I bought these also at Cabela's for $14.99 ea. Planning on putting two more around the bow floor. The first LED light's by Seasense are bright enough to tie a knot. I went with this setup for two reasons: I too fish into all hours of the night and I don't wear a hat or want to use a headlight. Wait...is that three? I'm also working on a setup with the 12 LED strip light to mount them under the lip of the outside so I can turn them on and see my catch when landing a fish at night. Seasense also makes a 6 LED utlity strip which I have (2 of them) in my Clam style fish house. No more lantern!