Wellcraft Transom

drJ

Seaman
I just bought a 1978 well craft project boat that was in fairly good shape except the motor threw a rod.I checked it over and its solid. The transom concerns me a bit though. It has obviously been rebuilt or strengthened once and seemed solid. I had my dad move the motor up and down while i watched for flexing. and the whole boat moved on the trailer and the transom never budged. The part that concerns me is the bottom of the motor bracket seems to have indented the transom about 1/8 of an inch but the motor isn't even flexing. I am hoping that someone just cranked down the bolts while the fiberglass was wet. Is this possible? or do you think that its rotted? any suggestions would be great.
thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wellcraft Transom

take a mallot, and tap on the transom. thud is rot. snap is good.

drJ

Seaman

Thanks TD I'm going to do that.
I just found out that the Guy cut the transom to put a shorter motor on it =(
Is there any way i can build it back up without totally redoing it?

drJ

Seaman

Well i finally got the engine off and did the mallet test like TD said. the only place my transom is rotted a little is around the bolt holes and on the top where the guy botched his fiberglass job. I was thinking to repair the are around the bolt holes i would cut from the outside with a hole saw into the outer fiberglass and the wood and then fill it with resin or epoxy im not sure which is better for this application and then along the top i would cut the wood with a circular saw and fill. then i will place a piece of fiberglass cloth all the way up and over the top of the transom and cover it with resin and do the finish work. Does anyone think that will work or have any better ideas.