1978 Evinrude 9.9 pull start question

Zodiak Tim

Recruit
Hello all,

I have a '78 9.9 evinrude, which is in great shape. I use it on my inflatable, which is a blast. But on a recent outing the pull start gave me trouble-- very hard to pull, jamming, then pulling without engaging gear to turn flywheel. Well, I noticed the main big bolt that holds the pull start mechanism in place was not screwed in completely-- there was a half inch of play at the top, the whole thing was loose, thus the problem. So I tightened it down to where everything is in place again and working well. I noticed if I tightened too much it would not pull easily so I backed it off. The question (finally) is: Did I do all I need to do to resolve the problem, and am I likely to have it loosen again-- is there supposed to be a locking nut of some kind on the underside (I could see or feel one. Any advice would be appreciated (I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it, and carry a 14 mm with me on the water)..

Thanks and Happy Boating

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Evinrude 9.9 pull start question

Tim....there should be a large washer under the bolt head. Is there? Also, there is a washer the should of the bolt rest's on at the bottom of the cup. Missing either, may cause your problem.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Keep a rope with pull handle on board for a backup - much lighter than a tool box.

Zodiak Tim

Recruit

There is a washer in place at the top-- I'll check the bottom of the cup for one, not sure on that. And next order of business is to get a manual-- just had the motor a few months, so I'm due to get one now, as I'm sure other items will crop up from time to time! Thanks for the advice, OBJ- I really appreciate it.

From the home of the Willamette and Mighty Columbia Rivers... ZT.