1971 merc 4hp wiring

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 71, 4hp that has no wire running to the negative side of the coil. Where should the wire run from? does anyone have a diagram for this engine?
Thanks for any help, shawn

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1971 merc 4hp wiring

It goes to the points-- If your going into the repair business you need manuals or experince Shawn!

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

easy now, who said anything about going into the repair buisness? This is my first single cyl merc, and I have never worked on one before. It was given to me by my uncle, and I just wanted to make it run again. I have several 2 cyl mercs and i am familar with the wiring on those, so I figured I could figure it out. With no switchbox, im lost. It has a green wire and a yellow wire coming from under the flywheel, thats all the wires on it. they are both cut about 1" long. Im not trying to **** anyone off, I was just hoping for some advice before the manual comes in.
Thanks, Shawn

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, does anyone know if the yellow wire goes stright to the negative side of the coil, or was there supposed to be any thing hooked between them? I have tried to jump it to the negative side of the coil, with no results. Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks for any advice, Shawn