scratch'n my head 87-89 mercury 40

wishin2bfishing

Recruit
ok i just got a lowes 16ft falco with a 1987-89 mercury 40 oil injected 35 boats great, motor i havent a clue trying to get to know the motor without spending a load for probly a simple ? ok heres the deal it wont start it will if i shoot starter fulid in it but wont stay running i have replace the old primer and i replaced the fuel tank if it says on the side of motor oil injected do i still mix the gas/oil or is there a oil res/tank i dont see one i have tried the mix 50:1 but still no luck i took the fuel filter off blew it out so i think its ok i have only one boat dealer/service in town they told me it would be at least 300 or more to look at it is there anywhere on the internet that i can get some info on my motor the serial # on the side of the the motor is ob299060 HELP .....james

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: scratch'n my head 87-89 mercury 40

ok for starters never ever use starting fluid on a 2 stroke engine. You will break the oil down in the gas and very bad things can happen to your motor. Second, you dont have to mix your gas as that is what the oil injector is there for unless it has quit working. And third my guess about your troubles is that your fuel pump has went out try looking into that.

wishin2bfishing

Recruit

ok can do on the starter fluid its a no no can u give me a hint where the oil should go i can see no tank for it no place to put it up under the cowl will it be on the outside of the cowl ? please forgive me for the stupidity i show is there a web site that can give me a veiw of my engine

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class

not real sure about the website but you might be able to find the oil injector inside of the battery compartment. Just follow any lines coming out of the motor other than the fuel line and one should run to a small white tank somewhat looking like what you would fill the washer fluid in your car just smaller. Ive read on some other peoples problems and it does sound like a fuel pump or pump diaphram. It could be dirty carbs too man. Look into to that and i hope all of your problems are solved.

wishin2bfishing

Recruit

TADD u rock the pump was shot not pumpin the fuel but i still cant find the oil tank i looked all over the place no tubes the only tube i seen was just behind the carb's butterfly valve less than inch n 1/2 from the front of the carb intake the tube was about 3 inches long went to nothing kinda looks cut or dry rot i guess im gonna get a manual in the morning and a new fuel pump if i cant see anything for a tank of oil does this mean the previous owner just did a ratio instead of oil injected (is that even posible?)

pete007

Recruit

Look into your dry rot stuff there's gotta be a oil resevoir there somewheres.............