Is this boat worth looking at?

2by4

Recruit
Hello,

I'm just looking for a boat and came across this: 1989 thompson carrera 205 cuddy cabin 4 cylinder with alpha 1 drive for $3000

I'll be getting more details later as well as maybe pictures of it.

Is it worth looking at it for such a price? I'm not sure about manufacturers... I'm not looking for a Mercedes of boats but not going down to Yugo either lol. I already have one boat in my driveway that is good as a keeper for a good trailer but I'd like to get on to a boat in the water instead of looking at the boat on my driveway.

Thanks, DJ

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is this boat worth looking at?

Be ready to pay for what ever is gonna break on an old boat. ask when the gimble bearing was last changed and make sure there is no water in the gear case. I just got out of a boat that was about that old and it looked great like it had really been takin care of. first trip out the starter failed $200 for reman. Second trip out the fresh water pump started leaking $90. Third trip out would not go into reverse, lower unit toasted $700. Went out two more times had fun. Last time out the head gasket blew. I spent $1890 befor i learned my lesson. traded it in and got back what i bought it for and now i have a new boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

DJ, That is a bit stiff, unless the boat is in good condition. If it was used in salt water, the manifolds, thermo cover and waterpump take a beating. Get the maintenance records. I would look for new manifolds (maybe two sets), new bellows, new u-joints and new gimble bearing as a minimum.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i might consider it at 1/2 the price, the 4 cylinder so going to be a slug on a 20 foot boat.

MikDee

Banned

Thompson is a good boat, one of the better manufacturers, the name has been around a long time. I am familiar with that model, almost bought one myself, but with a V8, but as the previous posters said, considering the age, and only a 4cyl. the price is a bit high.

2by4

Recruit

Thank you for all replyies... I saw that boat myself last night and yes... it was not worth $3000 for sure... I'm really upset because I've been monitoring boat classifieds and have not seen any decent boats in the past 2 mos at all here in upstate NY.

I see this one http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/370542478.html however again it's 84' and the price looks steep at least to me. Is it? Other than that I'll have just to keep looking and look for a younger boat...

How much boat like this might be worth paying for?

Thanks, DJ

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

You could look it up on Bluebook boat values and get a closer idea to the actual sale value. Again on an older boat be prepared to spend some $$$ on repair/replacement just like you would with an old car. If you are handy you could learn with help here to do some of it yourself!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the cobia is a fanstatic boat, but it would have to have atleast a 4.3 v6 to be a good boat. don't look at anything smaller than the 4.3 V6, you won't be happy. and don't buy a 4.3 with this type of exhaust manifold, the are very expensive to replace. these are called 'batwings' and are not made anymore. they have to be converted to standard manifold and riser.
brandon2.jpg

brandon.jpg

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

I bought an 88 Wellcraft a few months ago with a V-8. Did alot of research and so far the only real work I've had to do was replace the throttle. That was a PITB, but its in great shape. I probably overpaid for it due to the condition but so far haven't had any regrets.