Need help identifying wiring on car and what I need

thadd677

Recruit
Hi everyone, my family recently purchased a new Yamaha AR230 and trailer here in CT. We currently have a 1995 Suburban 1500 that will be able to tow it however I'm confused on what to do about wiring up the lights and brakes to the trailer. The connector from the car is four pins (four pin flat?) and the trailer hookup is a five pin that has some sort of reverse lockout mechanism. I'm having trouble figuring out a way to hook this up. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find an adapter that will work for this application?

I'll attach a picture of an adapter I found that looks like it will hook up to the 4 pin car side but I'm still unsure of the 5 pin to the trailer.

Attachments

• 15078_Trailer%20Wiring%20Kits.jpg
    15078_Trailer%20Wiring%20Kits.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 0

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Need help identifying wiring on car and what I need

The fifth wire should hook to your reverse lights. The idea being when you put it in reverse it disables the trailer brakes so you can back up without activating the surge brakes.

You cant use an adapter you need the extra wire installed on the vehicle.

Captain Paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks like you have what you need. a 12 volt test light will help you find your hot wire for your backup lights, simply splice in the 5th wire, seal it up with some liquid electrical tape and your rocking. I had to do the same thing on my last Sub, pretty easy and quick

Flotsam1

Recruit

I also have an AR230, you cannot back the trailer without disabling the brake lockout. On the trailer at the hitch there is a little tab hanging on a thin cable, you slide this into the bolt slide on the side of the hitch and it is a secondary system to turn off brake lock out. My truck only has the four wire set up also, so I figured this out real quick. I just keep the tab taped in place.