Looking for transom brackets for 125 HP Force

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 Force 125 HP OB and the transom brackets have split and cracked. I've searched Ebay and many other classifieds with no luck. Does anybody have a set off a parts motor they are looking to sell? Or does anybody know of a good place for used force parts?

Thanks.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: Looking for transom brackets for 125 HP Force

Are they the same as a Force 90HP?
Do you have any photos of your existing motor and bracket stuff?...that would help.

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice

Are they the same as a Force 90HP?.
Not sure...I think they are.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

RRitt

Captain

i'm sure that i have a few sets. you should be able to leave me a message about how to get in touch or email (or something)

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice

i'm sure that i have a few sets. you should be able to leave me a message about how to get in touch or email (or something)
Thanks...Sent you a PM.

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice

Does anybody know what other Force motors have the same brackets? Do the 150HP or 85HP have the same brackets?

RRitt

Captain

compatible brackets can be found on any chrysler 70hp or larger, any force 85hp or larger prior to 1992, many force 85hp and larger prior to 1995. exact bracket used from 1989 to 1991 85-150HP.

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forget the stock brackets. They're crap. You can fabricate your own as I had to do out of 1 inch plate T6 aluminum. Cost me 36 dollars at a metal supply store for a 7" x 14" piece. If you want I can send you the drawing I made denoting the placement and size of the holes you will need to drill. Being made of 1 inch plate and it being T6 grade, one bracket alone is probably strong enough. However, two are of course needed. I also used teflon washers on both the pivot bracket pivot point and for the king pin. Teflon washers I obtained at a local surplus supply shop for pennies. I would have posted picks but I cannot find a cable for my digital camera. If I manage too find one I'll post some picks.

Bigprairie1

Commander

..I like that line of thinking Matthew....bit of 'McGyver' in it. I wouldn't hesitate to manufacture something either if I need to. The expensive part is in any machining if required or excessive drilling, which is not easy for someone with a drill press. I'm hooked up with the manu. industry so its not a biggy to me.
However when someone else gets a bill for $200 machining/shop costs sometimes they wonder if it just isn't cheaper to buy it somewhere.
....still I love the initiative on makin' it instead. (noting...that you could then have it anodized an extremely cool colour....thus creating a custom part)

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice

I thought about making my own but decided to try and find some used first. I sent RRitt a PM and he's going to send me out a set. If these don't work out I'll fire up the bandsaw and drill press.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

When you install them and re-mount the engine, be sure the whole bolt and the inside of the clamp is covered with silicone RTV. Stainless and aluminum in contact set up a galvanic reaction; the aluminum corrodes. Aluminum corrosion is about 10 times the volume of mass aluminum. The corrosion generates enough pressure to split the clamp.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you install them and re-mount the engine, be sure the whole bolt and the inside of the clamp is covered with silicone RTV. Stainless and aluminum in contact set up a galvanic reaction; the aluminum corrodes. Aluminum corrosion is about 10 times the volume of mass aluminum. The corrosion generates enough pressure to split the clamp.

Thanks Frank, that is an excellent tip, I was looking at those pics and wondering what the heck could have done that, but what you said makes perfect sense, just like the plumbing in you house, copper to galv must use a dielectric connection.

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did all the cutting myself using a sawzall and my drill press with a 1 inch cutting rotary file. Used the services of a machine shop to drill the 7/8" hole necessary for the steering cable tube due to too much chattering while attempting to drill the hole myself. [old drill press w/no mill vice]

Thanks for the heads up Frank.

I really don't look forward to trying to remove the pivot bolt. Not with the motor all put together. [Had to make that too out of 1/2" stainless rod]
Something tells me it might be easier just to drill a hole into the bracket for a zerk fitting to keep the bracket and bolt greased. That means I also need to do the same for the power trim pivot too. "sigh"....just when I thought I finally got ahead of more boat work....lol...what was I thinking...lol!

chitownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SEA KING, I HAVE A TRANSOM MOUNT OFF OF A 1988, 85HP FORCE, THATS IN GOOD SHAPE, THAT WILL WORK. IT HAS THE STEERING MOUNT TUBE IF INTERESTED chitownborn@embarqmail.com

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU! Pulling the motor off today and swapping brackets hoping to have the boat ready for the weekend.

THANKS AGAIN RRitt.