need HELP old Motor

FishyMan

Cadet
HI Just got a Johnson 30 that has been sitting in a barn for almost 30 years the Model # RD-170 and serial number # 1273102, I havent found much info any would be great. I go tthe motor so me and 5 yr old son can go fishing on the regular, so what are some of the first things to do to get this old girl running again? thanks alot .

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need HELP old Motor

Howdy, Fishyman.

I suspect that your engine is a RD-17, as I find no RD-170.

That would be a 1955 25hp, maybe with a RD-18 cover. The RD-18 was a 30hp.

Spark plugs are Champion J6C (replaces J6J) gapped at .030"

Set the points in the magneto at .020".

Fuel mix is 24:1, 87 octane unleaded and TC-W3 outboard oil.

That was a great engine 52 years ago, can be again.

Good luck. :)

tashasdaddy

super little motor, check compression and spark, laingsoutboards.com has all the essentials for that motor. if it has good compression, everything else can be done to make it like new for around 150-200.

FishyMan

Cadet

I new it would be a good idea to come here. Thanks for all the good info, Ive worked on a lot of things cars lawnmowers other small engines but no boat motors, so ill need some help. i ve done a little research and checked the coils in the motor and seen they were all fallen apart, so im in the process of replacing, what else should I do before starting her up? thanks, cant wait to take it out on the lake...

reelinhuntin

Recruit

Might have points and condenser. Also expect dry rot on gaskets. Probably lose a lot of foot oil.

JB

And a new impeller.

FishyMan

Cadet

Man I need a good book, not sure what I got myself in to here. I dont even no were an impeller is, or how to set the points, every one is probly laughing but I just wanted a fishing boat for me and my son. I did check the compression and the #s are 65 on the top and 45 or so on the bottom but I have no idea if I did it right. Just plugged the gage in the spark hole and pulled the cord. Is this motor worth tune up , coil , points, grease , time and everything else I dont even no about ??? thank you for all for for takeing this newbeee to school...