I think I got a good deal!

studlymandingo

Commander
So I ran across a deal today. I was in Tampa finishing up some work this morning when I ran across a 1996 Kawasaki 1100 ZXi JetSki on a nice 2003 Performance trailer. I talked with the owner who said it ran great last season, but he was unable to get it started this year. I checked the compression (I was headed to a buddy's house to check his outboard) it was 140 psi on all three (I don't know what this motor is supposed to be but it seemed good) had spark on all 3, and the gas smelled REALLY stale. I talked him down to 900.00 and exchanged money for title. The motor has an "Ocean Pro" head and "Ocean Pro Vortex" carbs on it; the head has a notice stamped in it that says to use 92 octane or above fuel. I assume these are performance mods.

I got the PWC home (this is my first PWC) siphoned out as much of the old fuel as I could, sprayed out the carbs, put in some new fuel and oil and cranked it. It sputtered a bit, then started. At first it was pretty rough and smoky, but gradually began to smooth out. I still haven't quite figured out the adjustment on the carbs, but I think once I find a manual I'll have her purring like a kitten.

I later took her out to the bay and checked it out. I was able to get the speedo to bury the 70 MPH mark; man is that fast when you're that close to the water! It feels like the motor could run a little faster, but I feel like I was close to maxxed out; I'm sure that will change after I get used to it.

I have a few questions about the PWC that I posted in the PWC forum; just wanted to share my find with you guys!​

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I think I got a good deal!

Now that sounds like an excellent deal! :cool:

Reminds of a couple similar ones I've found.......

An ex-lifeboat 40HP Mariner outboard that wouldn't run, the guy gave it to me as scrap, along with the twin, full, metal gas tanks that he'd last used three or four years ago :eek:
Same old story, drain the gas, flush and refill and hey presto, smokey at first and then wallop!!! Ran like a dream :D

The second one was a car that was several years old but in great condition but my mate at the time couldn't get it started and had given up. I bought it for ?50 (about $85-ish) and checked over a few of the easy things. Gauge said it had quarter tank of gas but as I sat in the drivers scratching my head I noticed the gauge was still reading with the ignition off......tapped the glass and the needle dropped. Filled the tank and hey presto! The car was up and running! :D

I love bargains like these :cool:

ps, you'd never catch me doing 70mph on a pwc, I'm a yella-belly :D

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

ps, you'd never catch me doing 70mph on a pwc, I'm a yella-belly :D

You'd find it hard to find a PCW that would carry you at 70mph. Your also a BIG belly :D :D :D :D

Sorry Stan I couldn't resist:D

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

You'd find it hard to find a PCW that would carry you at 70mph. Your also a BIG belly :D :D

Sorry Stan I couldn't resist:D

You forget I know your license plate number ;)

And where you (try and) fish :eek:

Revenge, a dish best served cold, with some extra toppings :p

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

You forget I know your license plate number ;)

And where you (try and) fish :eek:

Revenge, a dish best served cold, with some extra toppings :p

And with a doughnut !!! :D:D

Sounds like you got a bargain on the PWC!

OldMercsRule

Captain

Hey Studly, "Good deals" is the reason I'm addicted to Black Boat Anchors, I hope I never see an irresistable "deal" on PWC as I can only have soooo many money cornsuming addictions I can finance. My first boat anchor was $450 (boat motor n' trailer), the 1968 125 HP anchor had maybe 100 hours on it in 1986. Converted me from a Johnnyrude fan, 'cause it ran soooooo good!! Now I have lots of 'em sooooo try to behave yerself, (easier said then done 'course)! Have fun with yer new hobby! JR

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Good job !! Now thats fast!! Maybe someday I'll come across a deal like that. Wishfull thinking story of my life...

studlymandingo

Commander

Ran it all day today! It wants to hesitate on takeoff from a dead stop, but I think once I get the carbs off and rebuilt that will go away.

The thing is really fast! I was with some friends today in the channel between Ft Desoto and Shell Key; they have big new Yammies, I was easily pulling away from them at WOT. Everyone was pretty amazed at how quick this thing is! I've searched a bit and found the performance mods done to this ski were actually worthwhile and has obviously added some "oomph" to the engine. Man am I going to be sore tomorrow, I can already feel that there are some "jetski muscles" I used quite extensively that don't normally get worked so hard. I'm gonna take some asprin before I go to bed!

Having always had a boat, I can see where this little thing can easily add to this summer's fun; of course I will continue boating, but the ski is something different! Try doing a 180 at 40 MPH on a 19' boat turning in a radius about the length of the boat; it's like the jetski is on rails!!!

OMR, I'm already afraid of the good deal; I want to work on this thing and get it performing as good as it can... That's always how it starts for me, one little thing leads me to another little thing; other people think it's enough, I always feel that there is a little more left to be had!​

waterinthefuel

Commander

I rode on that exact bike myself a few years ago. The unmodified bike could peg the speedo at 70. I was lucky, I had a raceboat doing time trials and we asked to borrow his radar gun. I was clocked at 57mph, with a tad of throttle left as I had to turn, but it wasn't much. Speedo said 70 at 57, so it's way off.

But that still is a good deal and I'm glad its in the hands of someone who's going to use it.

studlymandingo

Commander

Wow!!! I need smaller hands; I'm going to have to teach my girlfriend how to wrench!

I no longer think I/Os are tight!!!!

I just pulled the carbs off this thing for a rebuild and sheesh!​

jasonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you or a friend has a handheld GPS device, use that since it is by far the most accurate measurement of speed when out on the water. My boat had a speedo that always seemed off. I got a Garmin as a gift and it turned out it was reading 8-10mph slower than my true speed.

You got one hell of a deal. I'd bet you could flip that for $2000 all day long. My best deal is my current boat - an older Skeeter Hawk w/65hp Johnson (and trailer) for $150. Some guy just wanted it the hell out of his yard. I spotted the ad 1st, left work and drove straight to an ATM. His phone was ringing off the hook when I pulled up and I think he was kicking himself for not asking more. I handed him the cash with no questions and left as quickly as I could.

OldMercsRule

Captain

OMR, I'm already afraid of the good deal; I want to work on this thing and get it performing as good as it can... That's always how it starts for me, one little thing leads me to another little thing; other people think it's enough, I always feel that there is a little more left to be had!​

Toooo Late Studly!! Yer havein' way toooooo much fun allready!!! Glad I haven't stumbled accross one yet, (a deal like you got), it's probably only a matter of time. Try not to start lookin' fer the rest of yer collection 'till the prices get better, (up here in God's Country that's about late October). Just tinker with the one you have fer now and do yer best to resist buyin' another one where ya don't get a SCREEEEEEEEEMIN' deal. The kids n' wife, (or GF), can ride on the back of yers: I hope!! Good luck, JR

studlymandingo

Commander

Rebuilt the carbs today, completely solved the throttle issues and picked up a couple extra MPH on the top end.

This little thing is pretty fun. Definitely a good addition to the summer water arsenal.​

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Seveal years ago my friend bought a deal like that. It had all kinds of performance parts on it. The previous owner said he never could get it running right and when he did, it would overheat. After several years of the owner putting tons of money into it,,,,,he gave up and sold it. My friend bought it for $500. We tore it down and found gasket material covering water ports for the cooling. Put loc tight on the bolts and nuts that were constantly vibrating loose. He now has a piece of machinery that I don't want to ride.,,,,Yeah, I'm a yellow belly too!